Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Routine for a 12 year old...

c3bodybuilding

WARNING: This is a long post, but considering the age of the person, I felt it was important to explain the situation, and go into detail.

My nephew is overweight, and is even starting to grow boobs. He will be 13 in a few months. He wants to change. He's tried playing sports, but he's no good at them, and he doesn't lose any weight. I tell his mother (my sister in law) that he needs to eat better. He refuses to eat home cooked meals, and makes a huge fit. So his mother let's him eat take out, sugary crap, lot's of soda. His grandfather buys him 'diet' dr peppers along with at least $10.00 worth of candy (no lie!). "Yeah, I'm giving him diet soda to lose weight" What about all that candy.

The problem is, his step father pays him NO attention. He treats him like a stranger. He doesn't want to be a father figure. His real father is god knows where. His mother is wrapped up in her own life. And now they are having a baby together. He wanted his 'own' kid, as if his wife's child is not good enough. Basically this kid ignored by everyone, except my wife and myself. His grandfather is around him a lot, but all he does is load him up on sugar, and buy him more video games.

Here's where the routine part comes in. Up until I got married to my wife, he was very disrespectful. I think more than anything he was acting up and rude, because he was seeking some attention. When I started to come around he looked up to me instantly. If I tell him "study for that test" or "don't eat so much junk, eat home cooked meals" He LISTENS. So today I made a deal with him. He told me kids make fun of his body (he's not one of those obese kids, he just has a little stomach and the tits are just starting to grow). He's what you'd call slightly chubby or husky.

He wants to change and lose weight. Right now he just got involved in karate, but he want's to lift weights. His step dad was an Ex Mr. Nothing (won a small title back in the 80's, still thinks he's hotshit driving around in a vette, hair plugs in, gold chain, fanny pack, clown pants, etc), and thinks he knows EVERYTHING. For example before he ever met me, he told my wife, "Oh he's taking tons of steroids, I can just tell by looking at him." Basic all around rude ass. Since the step father could careless (even with all his 'knowledge'), I agreed to his mother that I would help him get into shape.

I told them both right out that the nutrition needed to change, because that's the big problem. I told him and his mother, only home cooked meals, no take out, candy or non stop sugary drinks all day). I said an occasional treat is fine, but when pizza and mcdonalds becomes breakfast lunch and dinner, then there's a problem. I told him to eat the chicken, steak etc your parents make, eat lot's of veggies, fruits, milk. So, I told him if I find out he is eating right, limiting all the sugar and take out, and improves his math grade, when he becomes a teen, I'll let him join the gym I go to. At that point in time, I know exactly what type of program I would put him on, but for now I think it would be best to do a few body weight exercises a few times a week, and focus on taking him to play ball or go skating on days I don't work.

For the routine part, I was thinking having him do a set of body weight squats/knee bends, push ups (on his knees if he can't do regular ones at first), and floor chins, I think that's the proper name for them (putting a broom handle between two crates/chairs and have him do chins like that). And that's about it. Maybe a few sets of crunches. Basically have him try to do more and more reps each workout. Eventually working up to let's say 50-100 reps at a time.

Maybe have him do this routine 2-3 times a week for a few months, then start using a 2lb vinyl weight set bar to learn proper form on a few basic exercises as bench, squat and row. Not actually using any weight, just the 2lb bar to learn proper form for the future.

I thought that combined with the ball games, skating, some bike rides etc, and finally eating home cooked meals, he would get in better shape and finally lose some weight. Hopefully the boobs will go away, but I explained to his mother, that one day surgery may be needed, only time will tell.

Does this plan sound solid? Would it be too much for him? I've never had experience training someone so young, and I am open to all suggestions. He's had a recent health check up, so all is fine there. Any bro's have any advice?

i think stregth training can be considered.. but first of all.. cardio!! lose all those fat first.. and i think u've got nutrition covered.. so i wouldn't worry too much if u were monitoring him strictly..

good luck..

get a 50lb heavy bag from academy.
learn/teach him proper punching techniques.

starting out, have him warm up each day with a 1/4 or 1/2 mile run.
then have him go 3 - 1minute rounds on the heavy bag (aggressively).
then afterwards, have him do stomach exersizes.

as he gets more stamina and in better shape, increase each exersize.
(ie: 1 mile run, 3 - 2minute rounds, more stomach exersizes, jump rope, etc)

that along with an improved diet will certainly get him in better shape quickly.

I'll try to post up more later if I can, but this is a link to teaching the squat and focuses on training the younger athlete. There is a lot of focus on training younger athletes in this website forum, it may be a good place to develop a program for this young person. You're right to consider nutrition, its where most of the now generation falters. Good luck.

Teaching the Squat to Beginners

my brother was quite overweight when he was younger. he started lifting with me when he was around 14. he's never been a natural athlete, and ate a lot of junk food. his diet never changed. he trained like shit for the first year on and off too (you know, common high school stuff... benching and curling) and didn't make any progress.

but when he hit the weights hard with me and learned to squat and deadlift, (when we got our gym set up), there was a huge change in his body. he trained just like i did and he is completely different physically now.

my brother is still a bit chubby (maybe 15% BF?), and not the best of athletes, but the boy is strong as shit and doesn't look sloppy. he also backsquats 365, and pulls 385 at 16yrs and 190lbs. these are modest numbers for a guy who doesn't take training paticularly seriously and only goes 3x a week with modified 5x5s.

this has lead me to believe: once someone has the strength base, why train anyone any differently just because of their body type, sex, age, or whatever?

why do 100 crunches?

those things are boring and no one will ever want to keep it up.

moral of the story: squat, bench, and deadlift.

It's definately a great start. I right now train a 17 year old, my nephew, he's very athletic, picks everything up right now and is very strong. We've been training together since November.

My brother calls and asks if i mind if a guy he knows son joins us, I say no problem. This kid is 14, very short but stoudt (?). I started getting him involved with our normal workouts, we train westside, and it was touch and go. He seemed like he wanted to all that he could but i realized quickly he lacked core strenght and stabilizer strength.

I had him doing on nights we didn't train, banded good mornings and knees out press thingys with a band (can't come up with a name) to help his core strenght a bit and keep his knees out when box squatting.

We then got to bench day, speed was fine, max effort forget about it, so i had him start of doing 100 push ups a night, first set as many has he could then sets of 10 to 20 with 45 -60 seconds rest max.

What is most important with training kids is know whether you intend to or not, you do become a surrogate figure in their life. Other than helping these kids with strength and self image, you have to become that positive influence that helps these kids gain confidence and stay postive.

Sometimes they need a kick in the pants or a pat on the back, but you being in their lives speaks volumes, good for you man and keep us posted on the results.

Attempted to post this this morning but ya know...

"A man never stands so tall to help a child."

This is a terrific thing you are doing. The young man has an opportunity to learn about diet and training, and build his self esteem.

After he turns things around a bit, you can get him doing a full body routine maybe 2 sets per exercise ... on a split. Light weights and attention to form.

I did this for my son. As soon as he could do a full routine, I bought him three sessions with a local Mr. Universe Natural in his gym. Each session was about 2 hours long with a lot of explaination as to how the muscles function and the related exercises. It did him a lot of good to hear the message again from another man.

Cardio really is the way to go. A good friend of mine was probably 230 lbs or so at 5'9" in high school and looked very overweight. He started boxing and he's been doing that for almost 2 years now (not competing, just sparring to help train local fighters that are trying to work their way up) and he looks completely different. My mother didn't recognize him at all when she saw him over the summer.

Another friend of mine lost probably 50 lbs over the course of a year, but I think his came from snorting Ritalin and coke all the time. :worried:

I want to thank everyone for all the wonderful ideas, and words of encouragement. I have a lot of reading to do. Those links are great.

It's a difficult situation. His step father hates me with a passion. His reason? He hates that I'm into bodybuilding. I guess he thought that was his thing. When he found out about me helping his step son, he got very mad. Yet he won't do a thing to help him. It's not 'his kid'. Wow, what a winner! I'm around for the long haul. It was actually my uncle who got me involved in all of this. For me it was the opposite. I was very thin and picked on. He got me involved in weight lifting. I'll never forget doing deads with his barbell set. When the going get's tough, I'm going to recall those wonderful memories and how they planted the seeds of self confidence for me, and I'll also look back on the wonderful replies that I've gotten right here on this post. Thank you all so much. - C3

Top Bottom