Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Neglecting flat bench?

Good routine w/out flat bench?

• Yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

blaster220

After reading the stats post by sk*, I noticed that many guys, mostly taller, don't do flat bench. Being 6'4, this concerns me as well as I seem to have a nagging AC joint problem ONLY on flat bench. I have no problem on even the slightest incline, but it's just something about the shoulder position on a perfectly flat bench that aggrivates the hell out of that AC joint.

Who agrees that one can build a strong, well proportioned chest minus the flat bench?

I don't think you need flat bench to build a good chest. I only do it once/ month and my chest is one of my better body parts. I do incline and decline first and then isolation movements. Most guys I know who compete think flat bench is over-rated, sure it builds power and strength, but, it's the not the only way to build a big chest.

Im tall as well, 6'6" and was having the same problemsI quit doing flat altogether and replaced it with a 10 degree partial decline press. I feel it takes alot of strain off my shoulders and works a greater overall area of my chest.

I take the decline situp bench and put one end up on a step we have in our gym to decrease the angle of declination. Works great.I doubt Ill ever do flat again, except maybe as a strength assessment....try the partial decline, its pure gold

Not being cocky, but my chest is my best body part naturally. I was born with it and have no problem building it up, so I don't do flat bench anymore. Instead I do safer lifts.
I like to do a combination of flies and presses together, either with dumbells or cables. The other "safe" exercise I enjoy is incline presses. There are others but those two are my favorites.

I'm 6-4 and my shoulder bothers me doing flat bench. To do it properly means lowering the bar all the way to the chest. That means us guys with long arms (forearms specifically) have to go way beyond parallel with the floor (upper arm) to touch the chest and I noticed that involves my shoulders alot more. I just do it with dumbells now. I think it's a better pump anyway. But to answer your question, I don't think you need to do flat bench to achieve your goals. There are plenty of other chest exercises.

You don't need it. Many lifters have the AC joint problem that you described. A lot of people that I know like the Hammer seated bench, it seems there is no pain and they can still move a lot of weight.

I'm 6'5" and the only thing that you need flat bench for is ego. That being said, flat bench is still the first of only 3 exercises I do for chest along w/ incline dumbells and dips (peck deck maybe once a month also.). It all depends on you goals.

My right shoulder is in bad shape. I have not yet been to get it diagnosed but it hurts in the front delt. I have not been able to bench for serveral weeks. I have been doing light pec-decs and cable work for chest. I am certain it was benching that hurt my shoulder. :(

im 6"4 and i do flat bench and its one of my best lifts...maybe due to the fact im young but dont have any problems in my shoulder area just a little left elbow tendonitis which hurts on chest and tri days usually.,...

danks

Top Bottom