Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Neglecting flat bench?

Good routine w/out flat bench?

• Yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Hey Lift Chief...

Lift Chief said:
Decline bench is easier on the joints and hits the chest better than flat!

Don't decline tend to hit the lower chest more then the upper chest?

The reason I am asking is because I have a shoulder problem and my upper chest needs work. Flat and incline bench pressing is out for me right now. :(

Is there a specific form I should use to hit upper chest while doing declines?

(Sorry if I got off topic here...)

Re: Hey Lift Chief...

doublebicep said:

Don't decline tend to hit the lower chest more then the upper chest?

The reason I am asking is because I have a shoulder problem and my upper chest needs work. Flat and incline bench pressing is out for me right now. :(

Is there a specific form I should use to hit upper chest while doing declines?

(Sorry if I got off topic here...)

I saw this study where they compared muscle stimulation in the pecs with decline compared to flat bench and there was more in decline... that's also why you can do more weight on decline because it takes your shoulders and tris out of it more than on flat. It does focus on your lower but it hits your whole chest well.

Ive been doing flat barbell for about a year straight. I desperately need a change, think i will go with incline, decline, and some flyes today.-WULF

I've always had problems with my right shoulder doing flat bench so in september I swore it off. I had been doing incline and decline DB presses ever since and felt my chest being used much more. Last week I decided to give flat bench another try and fucked my shoulder up all to hell. Now I'm out of commission for quite some time; even just typing hurts it. I'm not even a tall guy, I'm 5'7" and it's just not worth the shoulder stress. Never again.

My injury seems to be of an atraumatic origin. There was never a definite injury, but more of a gradual increase of discomfort, then slight pain in the acromioclavicular region.

I'll be giving declines a try beginning next week.

Anyone else?

blaster220 said:
My injury seems to be of an atraumatic origin. There was never a definite injury, but more of a gradual increase of discomfort, then slight pain in the acromioclavicular region.

I'll be giving declines a try beginning next week.

Anyone else?

Personally, declines feel much less stressful and more natural on my joints, especially my shoulders.

Lift Chief said:

Personally, declines feel much less stressful and more natural on my joints, especially my shoulders.

Decline kills my shoulders, especially racking the weight. I will stick with flat and incline.

If I were into bodybuilding soley, I would not flat bench. I tore a rotator cuff and had surgery to repair and the recovery takes forever. Once I started lifting again I used a narrower grip and this helps immensely. I am into powerlifting, so it really is not an option to not flat bench.

Last edited:
I'm 6'3 and have no problems with the flat bench but I do power sets on the flat bench and mass sets on incline and decline.

If your shoulders hurt, use a narrower grip. Bring your hands inside the hash marks.

The flat bench is indispensable if you are a true strength athlete, of any kind. It builds strength for the rest of the chest exercises. But I guess if your goal is solely to look pretty you can go ahead and do your incline nonsense.

All of my flat presses are done with a shoulder width grip. I consider them CGPB's actually. Wide grip bench wrecks my shoulders and bicep tendons. Even with the PLer set up. It's just not for me.

Top Bottom