Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

i'm not trying to get a powerlifter's body, would 5x5 still be beneficial for me?

I dont count warm-ups for the 5x5. and i go really light on those 2-3 warm-up sets (bar x 8-15, then 100 x 5, then 115x 2-5) then stretch, to keep from stalling on the 5x5 for the day.
are you talking about finding your 5x5 max or for the general workout?

No Brown he was asking do you ramp up during the 5x5 or keep the weight consistent. I do mine exactly as you stated. Funny seeing the wannabees in the gym looking at me like I am crazy when they see me using the bar. Then when the plates go on the facial expression changes dramatically!:D

No Brown he was asking do you ramp up during the 5x5 or keep the weight consistent. I do mine exactly as you stated. Funny seeing the wannabees in the gym looking at me like I am crazy when they see me using the bar. Then when the plates go on the facial expression changes dramatically!:D
Ditto!!

Site wont allow me to K ya again... :(

Most of this was already said but just wanted to put it all in 1 easy to read post. This is the author's recommendation for the Stronglifts 5x5 routine:

"Stronglifts 5x5" Routine

3 days a week alternating between an A and B day, doing only the exercises listed below. For example you might do this M/W/F every week. Any 3 nonconsecutive days a week are suitable.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Bench Press 5x5
Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 1x5

Always do the exercises in the same order as listed.

5x5 means 5 working sets of 5 at the same weight. 1x5 means 1 working set of 5.

These sets should always be preceded by 2-3 warmup sets (depending on how much weight you are lifting). There's no need to ever exceed 5 reps on your warmup sets. The object isn't to fatigue yourself, it's to warm up. The author gives, as an example, the following:

Say your working weight was 135 on squats:
· 2×5 45lbs => 2 sets of 5 reps with the empty Olympic bar
· 3 x 90lbs => 1 set of 3 reps with the 45lbs bar + 22.5lbs/side
· 5 x 135lbs => first set of 5 reps with your work weight
· 5 x 135lbs => 2nd set of 5 reps with your work weight
· 5 x 135lbs => 3rd set of 5 reps with your work weight
· 5 x 135lbs => 4th set of 5 reps with your work weight
· 5 x 135lbs => 5th and final set of 5 reps with your work weight

The author strongly recommends starting with the empty bar in week 1 for bench, squats, and overhead press. He recommends starting with 95 and 65 lbs on deadlift and barbell rows. He goes on to say, however, that if you have been lifting weights during the past months and are highly familiar with all the lifts in the program, then you can start with 50% of your 5 rep max on each lift.

Every time you repeat an exercise (on a new day), you add 5 lbs to each exercise (that's 2.5 lbs on each side of the bar). Deadlifts is an exception to this; instead of 5 pounds, add 10 pounds every time you deadlift (5 lbs on each side of the bar). When you can no longer add 10 lbs per side on deadlift, then you switch to adding 5 lbs per workout.

When eventually you stall on a lift, keep attempting that same weight for 2 more workouts. If you still cannot hit it, then reduce the weight only on that lift by 10% (or in other words multiply whatever weight you stalled at by 0.9) and start over adding 5 lbs a workout.

This is a beginner program. You will eventually stall. Once you need to deload 2x on the same exercise, the author recommends switching to "Stronglifts 3x5" routine.

That sums it up.

Amen!

Last week I box squatted 913 and I started with body weight. On my first set with the 50 lb bar my training partners were already coaching me. Head up, tight arch, ARCH ARCH ARCH, SPEED!!!

It all starts with the bar man!

Amen!

Last week I box squatted 913 and I started with body weight. On my first set with the 50 lb bar my training partners were already coaching me. Head up, tight arch, ARCH ARCH ARCH, SPEED!!!

It all starts with the bar man!

Amen brother!

Zed- I love it to man. Wish I would have found this routine much earlier in my trianing journey!

thanks for all the help guys. one last question. i know that compound lifts are the way to go for growing. but for example if i'm doing just squats, bench, bent rows, deadlifts, military press and a few curls and dips..will all my muscles grow? like for example my traps, or rear delts, or calves. those muscles aren't really directly hit are they? maybe i'm wrong..but isn't that where the isolation exercises come in handy?

Your traps will be hit harder through deadlifts than through any other exercise. You can always add in some light assistance work for rear delts and calves, but at this point it should not be priority. Realistically, if your legs and back are growing significantly then your smaller muscles will have to grow to keep up. Ever see a guy with legs like tree trunks and narrow unsupported shoulders? Doesn't happen too often.

Top Bottom