Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Got a personal trainer

gingersnap

Just had to share, I got a great personal trainer. She is just a little older that me, she is 42, I am soon to be LOL, she has a perfect body and even trains professional athletes....I worked with her today and my arms feel so pumped...Oh I think I'm going to get somewhere finally! :)

Congratulations on working towards your goals. I just finished my fourth session with my trainer today. The gym I go to offers four free sessions with membership. Last week he took me through various exercises for each body part and today he had me show him what I learned so I would know what to do when I work on my own. Keep up the good work!

congrats to both of you on the PTs.....there is so much to this sport and making your training work....Iam going to RANT a minute.....DO NOT GET a PT THAT is a FAT SLOB or someone who is 110# telling you they are going to put huge mass on your body....you have to be" here" or been" there" to train someone with these goals.....One thing that is difficult to teach is "INTENSITY"....ladies this is the KEY factor with this sport.....this is your #1 goal...if you get this concept, the rest will follow....this is the "ZONE" so commonly refered to by atheletes-and the hardest area for women to grasp as a whole.....the pro females on this board, know what this is and can tap into it at will....this is what sets them apart from the women who lift weights and workout.....your PT should be into your routine as much as you are-attention should be focused on you and how you are performing....be careful not to waste your time and money.....best of luck.....

PBR said:
congrats to both of you on the PTs.....there is so much to this sport and making your training work....Iam going to RANT a minute.....DO NOT GET a PT THAT is a FAT SLOB or someone who is 110# telling you they are going to put huge mass on your body....you have to be" here" or been" there" to train someone with these goals.....One thing that is difficult to teach is "INTENSITY"....ladies this is the KEY factor with this sport.....this is your #1 goal...if you get this concept, the rest will follow....this is the "ZONE" so commonly refered to by atheletes-and the hardest area for women to grasp as a whole.....the pro females on this board, know what this is and can tap into it at will....this is what sets them apart from the women who lift weights and workout.....your PT should be into your routine as much as you are-attention should be focused on you and how you are performing....be careful not to waste your time and money.....best of luck.....

amen!

intensity is something that numerous new trainees lack. also the willingness for "more". alot of times a client puts themselves in the PT's hands to read their mind as to what was the proper intensity. its a weird phenomenon.

"how was that, a challenge?"
<client thinks...."he will make it heavier...and i dont want to get bulky">
"yeah that was fine"
or...
"i felt that"

for a PT, a client that says they can do a little more is golden. it means they arent afraid to push themselves, arent afraid to fail and trust their PT when they may fail to keep them safe.

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement. Intensity? Hmm is this like when people are grunting and veins are popping outta their heads? It takes me 2 days to recover when I work with her, that's all I know. I feel like she pushes as far as she can. She warned me not to get concerned if my arms got big at first that they would retain water as the muscle grows? I told her I waasn't worried about getting big. I'm a natural ecto so bring on the big.

I have a "bitch comment" to get off of my chest. My husband and I have been working out for about 10 years...mind you, my husband is much more fit than I am. We have a home gym and love it but actually wanted some variety so we decided to join 24 hour fitness. I had visited one before so I knew what kinds of machines they had. First, we are talked to like we're complete fitness morons by a "trainer" who was probably 50 lbs overweight. We just kind of blew it off realizing this was just his sales pitch. The thing that really pissed me off was they wanted to take our body fat measurements to see if we could benefit from hiring a personal trainer. First off, I've had mine taken by a doc last year so I knew approximately what mine was (23%..stats: 5"4, 122 lbs) The trainer took my measurements and jacked them up....he said I had 31% body fat...that falls into the severe obese section! What BS!! My husbands body fat is 12% and they said his was 25%! Anyways...what they do is jack it up so you hire them and then a month later they give you your real measurements.....BUYERS BEWARE OF 24 HOUR SCAMS...

supermom said:
I have a "bitch comment" to get off of my chest. My husband and I have been working out for about 10 years...mind you, my husband is much more fit than I am. We have a home gym and love it but actually wanted some variety so we decided to join 24 hour fitness. I had visited one before so I knew what kinds of machines they had. First, we are talked to like we're complete fitness morons by a "trainer" who was probably 50 lbs overweight. We just kind of blew it off realizing this was just his sales pitch. The thing that really pissed me off was they wanted to take our body fat measurements to see if we could benefit from hiring a personal trainer. First off, I've had mine taken by a doc last year so I knew approximately what mine was (23%..stats: 5"4, 122 lbs) The trainer took my measurements and jacked them up....he said I had 31% body fat...that falls into the severe obese section! What BS!! My husbands body fat is 12% and they said his was 25%! Anyways...what they do is jack it up so you hire them and then a month later they give you your real measurements.....BUYERS BEWARE OF 24 HOUR SCAMS...

you are dealing with individuals trainers working under a corporate umbrella. you can give all the bad press you want to a company but know that they dont condone what happened to you, nor do they train it. Apex Fitness Group has some of the most knowledgeable people i have met with regards to training, nutrition and supplementation (and they are responsible for all instruction of trainers for 24 hour).

its unfortunate you dealt with someone who was unscrupulous, but... i have no tolerance for generalizations when talking about personal trainers. its like any other person you will deal with, some good some bad.i have one of the most steady client bases of all the trainers at my club because i work with integrity AT ALL TIMES. i wont pretend that a trainer cant/wont pad measurements, but...

Anyways...what they do is jack it up so you hire them and then a month later they give you your real measurements.....BUYERS BEWARE OF 24 HOUR SCAMS...

come on now.

Ok...You're right...I apologize for the generalization. It just really upset me how this guy was so deceiving. People hire personal trainers to help them to reach their goals...this guy didn't know squat! It really made me mad....and the sad thing is, I now find it hard to recommend him to any of my friends that are looking for a personal trainer. I love 24 Hour Fitness...great club, great instructors...I'm not judging them. I just wanted people to really research credentials of a trainer before hiring...they don't come cheap!

here is the trick:

watch the trainers on the floor as they work with their clients. do they move quickly, are they doing good exercises with proper form, is the trainer attentive?

ive had many referrals from just people watching me work with people.

Top Bottom