Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do you use a belt and wraps when you squat?

I agree with not using straps or belts and have never used them but one thing I've found that on cycle my skin is a lot oilier and have a hard time hanging onto the bar for shrugs and deadlifts past about 3 plates. I've never really lifted that heavy but prior to using gear had no problem hanging onto the bar up to my max, which was only 365. Somewhat related, I found that using a hook grip for deadlifting was hard to get used to at first but really helped with the grip - if you could deal with the calluses halfway up your thumb ;-)

you will definately improve your grip over time just work on it. i used to have trouble with my grip as well but i continued to work on it.. keep in mind I have VERY SMALL hands, medittarean genetics so gripping 3 plate deadlifts i tend to slip out, but i have worked on it the past couple years and its getting better and better.. and i find myself outlifting dudes who weigh 50+ pounds more than me for reps

If your injured or you have bad joints when should you stop using them? I can squat 500 for reps did that with out wraps shit almost brought me to tears. My nutrition is on point taking fish oil and cissus for joints, keep in mind I have spent 16 years as a Marine and one year in the Corps adds two to your body. Never thought that if I still was using them it would be detrimental to training. Only use them when I squat heavy, any help or advice is appreciated.

Sounds like you have joint laxity and the wraps keep things inline. Without the wraps keeping the joint inline while lifting the slop allows the joint to move out of place and rub where it shouldnt and add additional stress on already weakened tendons and ligaments.

If you chronically keep pushing the joint past where it can handle unaided (ie with wraps) you are going to constantly cause damage and not make any healing progress.

If I were you I would ditch the wraps and let pain be the guide as to how much weight to use. In addition add in 6g (or more) ascorbic acid, 5-6g lysine and 1-3g proline to your list of supplements, spread intake throughout the day. Those are key elements in collagen which is whats needed to repair the damages joints.

Sounds like you have joint laxity and the wraps keep things inline. Without the wraps keeping the joint inline while lifting the slop allows the joint to move out of place and rub where it shouldnt and add additional stress on already weakened tendons and ligaments.

If you chronically keep pushing the joint past where it can handle unaided (ie with wraps) you are going to constantly cause damage and not make any healing progress.

If I were you I would ditch the wraps and let pain be the guide as to how much weight to use. In addition add in 6g (or more) ascorbic acid, 5-6g lysine and 1-3g proline to your list of supplements, spread intake throughout the day. Those are key elements in collagen which is whats needed to repair the damages joints.

i bolded the best response in this thread. 1 sentence sums up what I've been preaching for years to people on here. improving your lifts doesn't mean you are lifting correctly and doing your body any favors. again we go back to EGO and cop out thinking by guys. and these are the same guys who end up on PK's at 35 and wonder why. a guy i workout with needs PK's and sleep meds before bed or he can't sleep from being in so much pain. what the fuck kind of life is that?

if you are a NFL athlete making millions then i guess its worth it? atleast your family is taken care of for life even if you suffer. but for those of you who don't even make a living in this then what the fuck are you doing to yourselves?

Most of my joint problems aren't by choice....the NFL player makes millions....I didn't but spent years fast roping from helos humping miles under load and eating crappy food. I appreciate all advice that was given to me, thank you all for your time and help!

Top Bottom