Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Absolute earliest age for weight training

VascularRock

MVP
EF VIP
My question is this.....what is the absolute earliest age that is safe to begin weight training?. I have heard 12 years old. I also have heard that the risk is limiting bone growth. Have there actually been any studies completed to assess this risk. I would assume no studies have been done due to the obvious possible outcome - young adults who are stunted.

I only ask this question because my son is nine. He currently is 5' 1" and weighs 119. He is somewhat overweight, but difinitely ahead of his peers in muscle mass (he obviousily inherited those genese from his Mom's side). He hounds me relentlessly to join me in my workouts. To date, I only allow him to lift very minimal weights.

Just very interested in everyones opinions.

<16 at the earliest for serious weight training, but if it was only going to be 2x a week and light weights, I suppose 14 would be ok...just my opinion.

Best thing to do is to ask your family doctor. The doctor would probably know what is best and how a young body would be effected adversely and positively. In my opinion however, I would wait until he stops growing as far as height wise. I would think if you started earlier that bone development could be effected.

There are powerlifters as young as 6 competing. My son is 3, and is learning form (no weight), terminology, gym safety, respect for the platform, gym etiquette, etc...

I started weight training when I was 13.

first time i start i was 14. but i havent trained straight for the 3 years since. ive heard that right when you start puberty it is ok to start lifting. i wish i woulda done that, i would have 7 years of lifting behind my belt, that would be rowdy.

I'm starting my little brother in the gym this summer, and he'll be 14 in July. He's pretty mature for his age, so I think he'll be ok. Just light weights, basic exercises, making sure he learns proper form etc. Should be fun. :)

It all depends on the child's maturity level....both physical and mental. Are they physically developed enough to handle training? and are they mentally developed to take it seriously? I don't feel you can pinpoint a specific age because everyone developes at a different rate at a different age, so I would say that it is a very individual thing. Personally, I was 13, but a 13 I was 5'10" and 170lbs and had to shave every day.....some kids are 13 and look and act like they're 9, it depends on the kid.

Top Bottom