Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

3x5 beginner question

coreyb

So I've been doing the sample 3x5 program in the book "starting strength" for 5 weeks now. I'm loving this simple but effective routine and have gained 15 pounds already :D

However, this last week my squats have stalled and my sleeping has been a little erratic. What do you guys suggest I do to keep my progress going? What would be the most optimal way to switch up my routine?

I was thinking dropping all my lifts down 20 pounds and working up again. But this time do ramped sets on monday, light squats wednesday and then go for PR's on friday, also with ramped sets.

Last edited:
If youre only struggling in the squat, try it one more time... if you miss again, drop only that lift 20lbs, there's no reason for you to drop everything else if they're still progressing.

Drop each lift on a case by case basis, not the whole thing at once.

Take a look at the writeup of the 3x5 in the sticky. The author covers quite a few basic adjustments that can help keep the progress going.

I agree with the previous post about pushing ahead on the rest of the lifts if they aren't close to stalling and just resetting squats (or lowering the frequency with which you try to add weight to squats). After that, as more lifts begin to stall, it's probably a sign that you've progressed beyond the point where adding weight every 48 hours (i.e., every workout) is possible. Then, weekly progression of the sort you outlined at the end of your post should be sustainable for at least a year or two, assuming you have some way of microloading (e.g., 1.25-pound plates for 2.5-pound increases) on lifts like bench and OHP.

okay, I will try your suggestions :D

I should mention though that I have no access to weights under 2.5 pounds, maybe that's causing me trouble?

For the first 3 weeks I would add 10 lbs to my squat and deadlift, 5 pounds to my row, bench and OHP. Now I've gotten to the point where I'm adding 5 to all lifts and if I don't get all the reps I just do the same weight next workout until I get all 5.

Also, the reason I brought this up is because I've been doing the same squat weight all week and not getting all the reps. Plus, I'm starting to feel a little joint discomfort in my legs and a little when I do OHP. Is it normal for people to do 4 weeks of intense 3x5 then a week of deloading....then back at it again?

I've read a TON of information on this style of lifting...however I never truly understand a subject unless I can ask questions and clarify, you know?

thanks.

yeah that's what I figured already...however I'm completely broke for at least a month so I can't afford any of those options :(

coreyb said:
okay, I will try your suggestions :D

I should mention though that I have no access to weights under 2.5 pounds, maybe that's causing me trouble?

For the first 3 weeks I would add 10 lbs to my squat and deadlift, 5 pounds to my row, bench and OHP. Now I've gotten to the point where I'm adding 5 to all lifts and if I don't get all the reps I just do the same weight next workout until I get all 5.

Also, the reason I brought this up is because I've been doing the same squat weight all week and not getting all the reps. Plus, I'm starting to feel a little joint discomfort in my legs and a little when I do OHP. Is it normal for people to do 4 weeks of intense 3x5 then a week of deloading....then back at it again?

I've read a TON of information on this style of lifting...however I never truly understand a subject unless I can ask questions and clarify, you know?

thanks.

sounds to me like you got a little ahead of yourself. i'm no expert but i've had crazy good success on this program and here's what worked for me. first off, 15 lbs in 5 weeks? dear jesus that's one dirty bulk hahah. that's fine i guess but clean it up a little and make sure you get lots of protein and good carbs.

secondly, you shouldn't be stalling in the 5th week man. i started off WEAKK, and it took around week 6 for things to get challenging. my lifts have all skyrocketed. you probably started off a little heavier than normal hence your stall. you really want to start LIGHT and get form down so when you start moving heavier weights it's really fluid.

what i would do is drop down the squats 20 lbs. and work up 5 lbs. per week since you can't microload. in a month you should be able to blast through the plateau you have now. deadlift is fine with 10 lbs per week if you're still progressing.

with Bench, OH press, and Rows i'd concentrate on advancing the ones you do twice a week by 5 lbs per week, and the ones you do once a week just keep the same weight you did the previous week.(if you had microload plates you could up everything but since you don't theres no reason to rush).

for example on Workout A week you'd do:
Mon: workout A
Wed: workout B
Fri: workout A

you'd up your bench by 5 lbs on friday, and on wed you'd row/OH press the same weight you did before. make sense?

haha once again i'm no expert, but this seems like a good plan since you don't have microload plates, and i think it'll help. good luck man

Dude,

go to that madcow page on microloading... print it out..then head over to Home depot and get the 6 sets of of six links of the chain, and 6 of the clips. Total was, I believe, 9 dollars.

Definitely wasnt more than like 15 tops.

Kabeetz said:
Dude,

go to that madcow page on microloading... print it out..then head over to Home depot and get the 6 sets of of six links of the chain, and 6 of the clips. Total was, I believe, 9 dollars.

Definitely wasnt more than like 15 tops.

whew, and I almost wasted $65 on the IH SS1.8 set.

If you fail again on squat, eg. 5 reps on first set, 4 on second 3 on third, then back off 10% of the weight and ramp up again to the weight you failed in three workouts or so and try again. That should be enough to get a quick peak and keep progressing.
If you failed again but the reps were lower, like 3 2 2 on each set respectively, then you might wanna backoff a little more. You really have to play it by ear. You would still lower the weight 10%, but do just one work set, and see how you feel. The weight should feel light. If you still feel tired then stop there. The following workout do it again, same weight. If you feel good do all work sets and keep progressing again.

If you really wanna learn more about this sort of stuff, then the sites cited by the others are definitely a must read. Also, if you thought Starting Strength was good, get Practical Programming. Its very good.

GL

Top Bottom