Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Workout in a Women's Gym?

Do you workout in a women's Gym?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gladiola

I teach aerobics for a chain of clubs & some are women-only. I like working out there because the weight room is never very crowded! Unfortunately the straight bars are lighter & I always forget what they weigh... they lack a roman chair & any decline benches (except for ab curl benches, which are too wide - can't get my elbows down).

Otherwise, they have everything I need! I love not having to deal with the junk my sister deals with & OTCBooty posted about - being leered at! I also like not having to listen to their obnoxious conversations.

-Gladi

NOPE!

Been there done that and I got more crap there than in the gym with the men (once they saw I could move some weight, was polite, and was good for a spot) They don't have enough of the right kinds of lifitng equipment at most of the women's gyms I've seen and the Women's lifting section of coed gyms is really just a ghetto of trash equipment with pastel colors...

There was a pretty good thread on this a while back, called something like "Curves," something like that...

Wyst

I joined an all-women gym while my Gold's was relocating - it was good for cardio, but not much else.

Personally I prefer having people around who don't see limits to the weights they are pushing. It drives me nuts when I see women putting 5 lb weights on the leg press and saying they are going for reps and not weight. GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWD.

I'll take a good old-fashioned sweat shop before I"ll do a chick gym again.

spats- gymboree? - :FRlol: :FRlol:

I noticed the other day at my gym that I lift almost as much as the guys (that's NOT a good thing) and womens weights look alot like my old hot rollers. :rolleyes:

Note to self: find a new gym :mad:

NO WAY! A lot of my clients go to those all women gyms and they are a joke! Its a lot of circuit training and light weights...ok if you are like 70 yrs old and just want to be active. Half the time they use the same weights and never move up...wtf is that. you get NO results w/ those type of gyms and they are more of a marketing tool to get overweight middleaged women into the gym and try to design them a program that doesnt WORK!

I used to work in a female only gym and it was the worst experience of my life (only slightly exaggerating). I could train there for free but yet chose to pay a membership elsewhere. Heaviest dumbells were honestly like 25 pounds or something crazy.

As staff, we were encouraged (told) to give all women the same style program that was an all body workout, you know the sort - good for the first few weeks for a beginner. No woman was encouraged to train heavy or hard at any stage of their training. I couldn't stand it, it was a complete joke. Members were obviously coming for the experience, not the results - and that's what the gym relied upon.

That's my only experience with female-only gyms and it has turned me off for life!

Only if it consisted of the Elite women! :D

Most "women's only" gyms I've seen are pathetic. Women say they like them because "they can concentrate on their workout and not worry about the meat-market atmosphere of coed gyms"....HORSEPUKKY! In truth, many women use these gyms purely as a social hour/gossip mill, all while thinking just being in a gym means working out.

There's a lot more competitiveness among the women in these gyms as to who's the skinniest, who has the cutest workout clothes, etc.

I'm happier being the freak in my coed gym, because at least the equipment's good, and I can always count on a spot.

When I read the thread on heaviest weight lifted, I actually had to check out what the heaviest weights my gym had were! I knew we had more than 25#! We have up to 50# Dbells.

It is true that few women lift heavy weight at this women's gym, but I typically don't find much of a difference with a co-ed club where I teach (most women aren't lifting heavy there either).

At my gym, the classes are the big draw & they are great cardio workouts! When I teach BodyPump [barbell class with HIGH reps] though, I almost want to say,
"Don't worry, you won't look like me with big biceps & shoulders doing this class!"

Cuz I know many of them them are like cringing at the thought of getting *any* mass!

Top Bottom