Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

WiggyWild's HST and 5x5 Training Log

WiggyWild

Thanks for having a look at my training log.

Training Background: I ran 5x5 for ~ 4 months with one reset. I dropped 23 pounds and put ~80 pounds on my squat and deadlift after the first 5x5 cycle, but after the second reset I felt that my body had become accustomed to the workout and decided to switch to hypertrophic specific training (HST) for a while.

Stats: 6' 197 lbs ~15-16% body fat.

5RM maxes at end of previous 5x5:
Squat 305
Deadlift 360
Bench 200
OHP 130
Bent Row: 155
-I keep back perfectly parallel but was not touching the floor each time, and was aiming for my belly button. After a form adjustment I estimate 5RM will be 170 or more.

Current Workout: I was restricting calories during 15 and 10 rep portion of HST with high intensity and little rest between exercises and riding 4 - 14 miles on my bike on non lifting days. I cut back on cardio and increased calories in order to support 5 rep section in hopes of some PR's. The following is the 4th workout in the 5 rep portion of HST.

Workout 9/13/12

Flat BB Bench: 105 x 5 reps +
135 x 5 reps +
190 x 5 reps for 3 sets

Incline BB Bench: 150x1 set x 5 reps

Overhead Press: 120 x 2 sets x 5 reps

Bent Over Rows: 150 x 3 sets x 5 reps

Pull Ups (varied grip) : 4 sets x 5 reps with 25 lbs +
BW burnout on narrow grip chins

Dips : 3 sets x 5 reps x 30 lbs

Squat: 135 x 5 reps +
185 x 5 reps +
275 x 5 reps for 2 sets

SLDL: 135 for 5 reps +
215 x 5 reps for 2 sets

Power Shrugs: 135 x 10 reps
240 x 5 reps -- grip gave out, usually would have done another set, but I may be nearing my 5 rep max or 3x week may be too much volume for traps so I stopped.

Standing BB Curls: 90 lbs x 3 sets x 6-7 reps

Overhead DB tricep extension from behind the back: 45lb x 3 sets x 6-7 reps

Standing Calf Raises: 200 x 2 sets x 5 reps
160 x 10 reps

All done in 64 minutes! Tomorrow I will bike and do abs. Please tell me what you think about my workout I would love to hear your advice!

37 sets in an hour?? Damn man you must look like the flash running around the gym. So are you taking a 5x5 program and making it more of a bodybuilding workout? You have a lot of accessory work. How many days a week are you doing this? Probably won't get the strength gains you could from a strict 5x5 but you will get a good workout. Best of luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using EliteFitness

Thanks for the reply. This is hypertrophy specific training not 5x5. I previously did 5x5 and my current 5 rep maxes are listed above. However, I did a 5x5 about two years ago, ran it for longer than the last time, and got my squat to 365 and deadlift to 415 but my bench was lower than it is now. My point is I wanted to try a program that I could focus more on my chest and shoulders, and so I gave this a try.

The link to a sample workout is here:

Hypertrophy-Specific Training

According to the program you do 1 set of 15 reps for 2 weeks, 2 sets of 10 reps for 2 weeks, and 3 sets of 5 reps for two weeks and repeat the 5 rep portion, increasing the weight every workout. My upper body is responding well and I'm not over training currently. I know what over training feels like as I did previously in a 5x5 set up. However, I do feel like this is a lot of volume. I plan to drop the volume and accessory / isolation work when I'm at my 5RM to try and set new bench and OHP personal records.

Top Bottom