Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What SPECIFICALLY, is overtraining

blood_drinker

Please give the scientifical definition.

Also, will overtraining your muscles cause you to LOSE muscle, or just inhibit growth potential?

There are many factors involved in overtraining.

In order for protein synthesis to occur optimally sufficient ATP and specific enzymes must be present in the muscle (glycogen provides some of the ATP which provides the energy necessary for protein synthesis). Each set you do depletes intramuscular ATP, glycogen and enzyme levels - this depletion inhibits growth. But there is also a prevalent theory of muscle growth that states that this ATP depletion is, itself, a necessary stimulus for growth. Also, each set produces muscular damage. The damaged fiber components are removed from the cell and eliminated (via the nitrogen cycle). In fact, after a workout, protein breakdown is markedly accelerated. This protein degradation is offset by the fact that the cellular damage incurred also causes the body to increase it's protein synthesis rates at the same time. So, the growth process is a balance of protein degradation and synthesis - catabolism and anabolism. Now, it is a fact that the body is capable of increasing protein synthesis rates to only a certain point (limited by substrate and enzyme availability, nuclei number, etc). So, by all of this, there definitely appears to be a point where enough ATP has been depleted to stimulate growth (if you subscribe to that theory) and the body's ability to synthesize protein has been stimulated to it's maximum. Any work beyond this point will contribute further to protein degradation but no further synthesis will be stimulated - the body simply is incapable of it.

Overtraining in a nutshell is - When so much work is performed, that more catabolism takes place than anabolism.

Overtraining in a nutshell is - When so much work is performed, that more catabolism takes place than anabolism.

Thanks ! LOL ! :D

( I undestood the rest , I'd just think this would piss you off..[or not?])

blood drinker, this might help you too...

I don't have any text books with me right now (I'm at work :( ) but overtraining also has specific physiological symptoms that are pretty well recognizable in the real world:

Loss of training motivation, irritability, trouble sleeping, getting sick more easily (due to decreased glutamine levels), decreased performance, feeling tired, etc. That's off the top of my head from what I can remember. Maybe someone with an open book in front of them can tell you more.

in the physiological sense, then, I doubt I could ever overtrain. Damn, I wish I could be in the gym training chest with growth !

:eek:

B,

My partner and I have done this for so long now that we're used to it, so to us, it's not overtraining.
I guess you could say that our bodies have grown accustomed to it.
We have to go over and above a normal routine to get sore or see gains anymore.
When we want to give ourselves a rest or take little break, we'll drop back to single sets and it seems so easy.
Like just squatting after being used to squatting super setted with deadlifts or hacks. Or just flat dummy presses when we're used to flat supered with inclines. We'll have these huge grins while we're doing it.
It's like we almost feel guilty because we're taking the easy way out. But we know that the longer we're slacking, the harder it will be to get back to the regular routine. So the breaks don't last too long.
But we do get acused by others all the time of overtraining. They don't understand so rather than try to explain it all, we just agree.

Top Bottom