Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Weights Advice . . . Please Help!!

cezza30

Hellooo :)

I'm currently trying to drop some weight, and wanted some advice on the weights side of things. My workouts are a bit unguided and don't really have any direction, which I'm looking to sort out as I feel like I'm not going to get anywhere the way things are going.

My cardio workouts are currently something like: fifteen minutes cross-trainer, fifteen minutes on the bike (going fast, not just trundling along), and then fifteen on the running machine alternating between walking at a fast pace and running fast on a high incline. I get bored on the running machine, so the only way to keep me on there is to do something more interesting on it like putting it on an incline and doing intervals as mentioned.

The weights side at the moment is just crap to be honest, I don't really have a plan when I get to the gym, and just do whatever I feel like after having done the cardio. I know it's probably not the greatest idea to try and tackle the weights after tiring myself out doing cardio, so maybe I should be changing this and doing them separately?

I have very 'heavy' legs and they are quite big compared to my upper body (in comparison I am quite small-framed up top, narrow shoulders etc). I tend to hold a lot of fat on the backs of my legs, and I've also been told by a physio that I need to strengthen the backs of my legs as they are quite weak compared to the front. I tore the cartilage in my knee a few years back, and the physio said then that there was quite a chance of this recurring in the future, and that I should try and strengthen the backs of my legs as it was affecting my balance and not helping the knee problem. I did the exercises he gave me, and still do them from time to time when warming up, but I don't really have anything incorporated into my routine to specifically target this problem.

At the moment, I'm going to the gym three times a week but I want to increase this to 5 workouts a week (not necessarily all in the gym, possibly one swimming session thrown in). We've just moved into a new house so I haven't been as good as I should've been up until now, but now that we've settled in I want to have a proper routine in place. There are loads of classes on at my gym, so I'm looking to start going to one or two of them a week, maybe do one boxercise or bodypump (combo high-intensity cardio and weights) a week, then maybe a gentler one like yoga.

I've just reread the above, and I realise I'm babbling quite a bit but if anyone can offer any suggestions I'd be most appreciative. I've got about another 14lbs to lose to be where I want to be, which would put me at about 145lbs. I'm currently at 159/160lbs at 5 foot 7ish, and whilst I don't look 'big', I feel like I do need to lose this extra weight. I've got a good layer of muscle underneath the fat, I just want some of it to show a bit more!!

I just feel a bit clueless sometimes with regards to the weights, as the competitive side of me just wants to see how heavy I can lift things, but then I don't really know what I should be doing to get to my goal. Any help / ideas anyone may have would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance :heart:

Try the stickies above, or pick up the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips. Both excellent resources for weight programs. In general, lift heavy with a goal and have fun!

Top Bottom