Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Upping Your Bench Question

INK

me and my friends have been talking about how to up our poundage on bench lately and alot of them say that if u only bench 2 times a week then it will help it go up faster then benching 3 times a week. I have no idea which is true so I was hoping some of you could help me out with this question. Thanks

your chest is a rather large muscle and my personal opinion is olny once a week but to each his own and mabe that works for you but work it hard for a couple weeks only once a week doing power sets of 1-5 reps and give yourself a week to heal keep up the intensity....

INK said:
me and my friends have been talking about how to up our poundage on bench lately and alot of them say that if u only bench 2 times a week then it will help it go up faster then benching 3 times a week. I have no idea which is true so I was hoping some of you could help me out with this question. Thanks

IMO benching 3 times a week will quickly lead to overtraining unless you are "chemically enhanced." try looking into a West Side Barbell, or a Metal Militia style program if you are wanting to increase your bench. a typical bodybuilding routine wont do much for strength when compared to a power lifting routine.

INK said:

I've been getting huge gains lately on my bench.

I hit chest for about 3hrs to complete failure. Four days later I hit it again along with back. I primarily try to get a really good stretch and go for reps but not to failure. Two to three days later I hit it again to complete failure.

I constatly change my routine and what excersises I do, and from bb to db to keep it confused.

I was benching 225 a year ago 365 just recently with this same routine.

Twice a week is the way to go for me

3 times is too much unless you don't do many sets

Anthrax said:
Twice a week is the way to go for me

3 times is too much unless you don't do many sets

Yes I agree, my routine works out to be 2 times a week, but I only really work it out hard once a week.

The 2nd time I hit it during the week I'm primarily getting all the lactid acid out and getting a really good stretch with some blood flow.

ONCE A WEEK IS ENOUGH!

I have only benched once a week (each body part once a week for a 5 day training week) for the past 3-4 years and i have a large chest~48-49". Secondly, my bench is my best exercise by far, about 2 months ago i did 5x5 with 405 and last week i finished with 405 for 7 reps.

BARBELL, BARBELL, and MORE BARBELL!

mix and match:
flat barbell followed by incline dbs
flat barbell followed by incline barbell
inlcine barbell with flat dbs
incline barbell with flat barbell

rest pauses at the end of your routine (rest at the bottom for 1 second)

mix and match your reps/sets:
3 sets of 10 at the same weight
5x5
sets of 8-10 pyramiding up
sets of 5-6 reps as high as you can go

NOTE: Please dont just add 5lbs to the bar at a time if you are pyramiding. I feel that the pecs are large enough to handle a minimum of a 20lb increase (im up to 40-50lb jumps). If you are not accustomed to this style, then try to approach it, up it 10lbs then till that is comfortable then go up to 20 and so on. If this means you have to warm up with the lighter weight, then please do so, you will reek the benefits.

Lastly, if your upper pecs are lagging, then predominately start with incline.

Also, overall shoulder development is crucial, that means not forgetting about the side and rear delts. Your triceps are crucial too, try incorporating close-grip bench in for your tris. This will give you your second bench day, but predominately focus on your tris.

Hope this helps.
wick

i totallt agree with cwick. once a week is enough for me. i feel overtrained with one day a week. i go hard though.

a big bench is way more than just pecs- triceps, lats, shoulders too.
i bench twice a week- once flat and once decline and do some auxillary stuff.

Sugarplum said:
a big bench is way more than just pecs- triceps, lats, shoulders too.
i bench twice a week- once flat and once decline and do some auxillary stuff.

How many times you bench a week is entirely dependent upon your splits. I train 5-6 days a week, so once a week of chest is enough.

NOTE: DECLINE WILL NOT YIELD A BIG CHEST. Focus on incline and flat!

Top Bottom