Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tips on training for a better grip?

NoFatChicks91

I have a terribly weak grip that gives issues when trying to do pullups, shrugs, dumbell lunges, dumbell calf raises, and the biggie, deadlifts when they get heavy.

The other day I was on a set of 315 x 5 deadlifts and by rep 3 I had to keep setting the damn bar down and re-grip it.

I don't want to use lifting straps because forearms will never develop.

I do all kinds of forearm exercises, like reverse wrist curls, wrist curls, and roll dumbells up and down until I can't do it anymore. I usually only do them on my arm workout. I try to do dumbell calf raises instead of machines and hold on to the weight as long as I can before they are about to slip out of my hands. I start having trouble around 70-80 lb dumbells :(

I think it's because I severed my wrist and arm bones a long time ago. Whatever it is, it makes lifting heavy pretty difficult sometimes, and interferes with my reps, pisses me off ,etc.

Has anyone else dealt with grip problems? I've been fighting with it for a good 8 months now. My grips a stubborn bitch.

Use weight lifting strape or hook when your forearms are tired so you can train more of your target muscle groups. I use hooks for my drop sets of pull down for example. It works great.

Yeah, I may have to invest in some of those. It's really impacting me being able to lift as heavy as I can at times. I still want to build up my grip, though. Maybe I can place more emphasis on forearm training

For me the only way to get my grip better was completely ditch straps.. Just squeeze the bar as hard as you can and as you up weight grip/forearms will get better

Chalk adds 20% to all lifts :D
Hang from the chin bar for as long as possible at the end of each training session.

Chalk helps hold the bar. Things like static holds, thick bars or FatGripz, captains of crush, holding bumper plates with your hands,and holding loaded farmers walk bars.

Captains of Crush grippers!

I by no means will give up. Fortunately I think the injury has just made me weak, but I dont think i have any permanant damage

an exercise that i find helps with my forearm/grip strenght is to stand between two cable pulls, using the lower cables pick a heavy weight in the stack and just hold the weight as long as you can, followed by holding your bodyweight on a pull up bar. 4-5 sets at the end of a workout

Top Bottom