Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Time to buy some stocks

IBM is a very solid stock, but very expensive right now. I heard an analyst on CNBC talking about Compuware the other day, which sells at $10 a share. He said they would be the way to go right now, due to the inexpensive price and the fact that they have a few patents that could take some business from IBM...

I've been buying alot of tech over the past 6 months TD with the expectation that it will take up to 18 months for a full turn around to occur.

Cisco & Nextel & Nortel & Intel and Microsoft are currently taking up about 65% of my portfolio. The rest are energy stocks that I've had for some time who's values are way up.

Compuware has been at $10 for a while now, he was predicting about a 12-18 month return on that stock. I usually only listen when people talk about long term securities, to avoid having to sell early and pay capital gains taxes...

Yeah Wodin, I'd like to get some energy stocks too, but most of the front runners already have hefty price tags. I actually hope some of these tech numbers go down a little more in the next month or so, then I'll pull the trigger.

Last edited:
cisco and nortel remain very good choices to buy.
the supply the hardware to pretty much every telcom company out there that has the backbone of the net.
even if all those companies decided they were set with the number of routers and switches they currently have (which they aren't ever), both cisco and nortel are coming out with some very cool switches (partly which my company is involved with on a bunch of them, 3com too) that will definitely be bought to replace most if not all the current switches that are out there.
lots of burned on software to allow many a cool thing.

I could do a lot of things if I had some money.

Energy will peak late this year of mid way through next year after all the people being gouged with high energy bills get pissed off enough to turn the regulatory tide. It's just the nature of the business.

My portfolio goes like this:
Microsoft
AOL
BellSouth
Home Depot
Oracle
Yahoo
Cisco
Phizer
Disney
J.P. Morgan
T. Rowe Price MF

I'd like to get some more Cisco and Oracle, I already got some for pretty cheap, but now is the time to get some more. I really like Lucent to make a turn around...

Last edited:
Why not to buy Cisco:

1. Cisco got so big, so quickly by mergers and acquisitions. It was easy when their stock was valuable and growing. Now that it is depressed, there is no money available to do this.

1a. Compunding this: Almost all of their acquisitions were stock based. With the steep drop in value, all of these shareholders have been selling to cash out as soon as they could. This lowered the price even further. Those who couldn't sell for contractual reasons are facing either some serious capital gains issues or something called the 'alternative minimum' tax that will literally bankrupt them.

Alternative minimum = government taxes you for the value of your options when they are fully vested WHETHER OR NOT YOU SELL THEM. You can hang on to them and try to pay the lower captial gains tax, but if you do this, and the PRICE DROPS (like Cisco) then you owe taxes on the HIGHER price. In other words, you could owe millions in taxes on stocks worth $100,000. T

2. Cisco equipmwent is sitting unused in server rooms throughout the country form ISPs and other companies that died out. So all of this equipment (routers/switches etc.) is available to corporations at "fire sale" prices. Why buy it from Cisco at full price, when you can get it slightly used for 20% of full price?

3. The Internet is generally moving toward optical transmission. Yet Cisco must in many ways remain digital/electronic in order to support its massive installed base. Other companies like Juniper and Ciena have been producing excelent optical equipment for a while.

Conclusion: Cisco can't grow by acquisition. Cisco's revenue is falling and will continue to. Cisco is digital in a fiber optic world.

SO: do your own research. See what new optical products Cisco is developing. Some of you dont really know that much about technology and just assume that Cisco will rebound because they grew the way they did. No flame, but how may of you know the difference betwen a router and a switch?

Good luck.

WODIN: Nextel....really? Are you hoping for an acquisition? I don't like them.

Top Bottom