Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The Size/Strength Connection

That's a pretty bold article.
I've thought for a long time that people should train for strength more than a conventional "bodybuilding" type of training style.
But I don't know if I believe you can quantify that easily the strength/size equation that he's come up with.

Food for thought, either way.
Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the read.

Interestingly, my wife *cough* subscribes to Muscle & Fitness and this month they have a feature spread on a squat-bench-dead strength routine for bodybuilders.

The really strange part is seeing Ed Coan's name and quotes in M&F.

I do believe that drug free lifters will benefit more from strength training for size than with higher volume training (muscle mag high-volume that is).

B True

I agree that the equation stood out as being nothing short of "bold", but he did say "all things being equal". Obviously different athletes/lifters at different levels (novice, intermediate, advanced), with varied diets and supplements, hours of rest, and even mindstates will make different kinds of progress in the lifts due to things like added mass, more concentration or better technique. All the variables in the world make it pretty much impossible to come up with a solid formula to follow, but I think it was more of a guideline and a path for people to follow - get stronger, and you will get bigger.

The only thing it didn't address was triples and below. A lot of olylifters don't get too big (though, they're not tiny) and they train mainly with triples. Any type've training like that focuses on the nervous system more, and you advance through better, oh what was it called? I think rate coding, among other things. Either way progressing in, as madcow2 puts it, "appreciable rep ranges", will net you more musculature.

Any article that talks about strength that fails to even mention the CNS is discounted immediately.

Any one can measure a group and then fit a mathmatecal equation to that groups progress. I could easily perform that where the equation would explain any percent of the population. And yes there is a high probability for normal people to get bigger as they gain strength. Isn't that why we lift weights instead of just doing pushups. The discussion was very elementary and lengthy with no facts. Typical of snakle oil salesman, oh sorry I meant supplement salesman.

Top Bottom