Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

The End of Everything -- What the future holds for the universe (science article)

Well that just ruined my day.

I always love these statistics and the fact that they mostly pull them out of thin air.

"Let's think of a number that sounds plausible. 10^100 years? Sounds good."

Didn't the big bang happen 10^39 ago? So why would it take so much longer for the universe to totally collapse?

Depends on the model of the universe used, the amount of [dark] mass, to what extent universal constants stay constant. They don't discuss the collapse/heat death models here.

:cow:

The End of Everything | Universe Today (better pictures on this page)

The End of Everything

Written by Fraser Cain

quiz1645outcome1.jpg

Lol

What a waste...

Such brain power utilized to formulate so many useless hypothesis (I am uncertain of the plural and don't wish to invest any time looking it up) for what? How has this helped anyone?

I don't understand such "brilliance". :whatever:

What a waste...

Such brain power utilized to formulate so many useless hypothesis (I am uncertain of the plural and don't wish to invest any time looking it up) for what? How has this helped anyone?

I don't understand such "brilliance". :whatever:

What hypotheses? This was just a simple article written on basic stuff that's been known for years. There's nothing new here.

The underlying theories -- Friedmann models of the universe, detetion of dark matter, value of the cosmological constant, half-life of the proton -- are some of the most important topics in physics and astronomy.

Some people like to look to the future. How is our exhausting natural resources of the earth today helping anybody? Sadly, yours is typical thinking: if it doesn't affect me, now, they why should I care?

It's a big world out there, and an even bigger universe.

What a waste...

I don't understand such "brilliance. :whatever:

Nobody expects you to.....

Although I'm sure Carter is way smarter than I will ever be, I do question why he picked 50%. For all we know, only 10% of humans who will ever live have been born yet. Or it could be 2%. It might be 95%.

I'm too lazy to look... I do wonder how he picked 50%. Perhaps he just pulled it out of his arse and just because he has a PhD from Cambridge, everyone believes him.

I've never heard of it before, either.

On first glance, it looks like a purely statistical approach: Doomsday argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What hypotheses? This was just a simple article written on basic stuff that's been known for years. There's nothing new here.

The underlying theories -- Friedmann models of the universe, detetion of dark matter, value of the cosmological constant, half-life of the proton -- are some of the most important topics in physics and astronomy.

Some people like to look to the future. How is our exhausting natural resources of the earth today helping anybody? Sadly, yours is typical thinking: if it doesn't affect me, now, they why should I care?

It's a big world out there, and an even bigger universe.

So then this article was only restating that WE ALL KNOW the planet will end in *this amount of time*?

I misunderstood your point for posting it then. I assumed it was something *new*?

Regardless my feelings remain the same. Sitting around coming up with all of these complicated equations to prove this guy is closer to right than that guy about something that none of us has any control over, nor will we live (or any near generation) live to see seems wastefull to me. If you are THAT SMART then why not think of ways to improve the quality of life NOW?

Just as wastefull as the guy out on LI who was working on a mathematical equation to prove the existance of God.

Just seems silly to me, that's all. I would hope if I had a fraction of that sort of brain power I would be it to better use. But since I don't and never will I won't ponder the topic any further. :)

So then this article was only restating that WE ALL KNOW the planet will end in *this amount of time*?

Um, yeah. That's not exactly rocket science. :D

I misunderstood your point for posting it then. I assumed it was something *new*?

Oh, god, no, lol. Anything new in this area would be covered in mathematics and references. This is just an informative article.

Just seems silly to me, that's all. I would hope if I had a fraction of that sort of brain power I would be it to better use. But since I don't and never will I won't ponder the topic any further. :)

In that case, I won't bother writing any further response to your post.

Top Bottom