Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Tendonitis

Caleb's Tree

Tendonitis Median Side of Elbow

I developed a bit of tendonitis in my right elbow along the inside of my arm.

I think it was a strain or slight pull when I had to move a grading blade for my tractor.

I've been babying this thing for a couple of weeks, icing it ocassionally, doing light workouts. I probably should have totally laid off it for about two weeks, but I don't want to miss my workouts. It's the ulnar collateral ligament (I think) that was strained. It bothers me most when I do cable crossovers / flies. Not sure if that't the right term for the exercise. Designed to work the pecs, biceps and forearms.

What should I do? Should I just keep icing it till it clears up? Should I just forget working my upper body, and just do legs till it clears up? Should I just eliminate any exercises that aggravate it?

Any tips from you guys would be helpful.

I just got back into weight lifting again this year and actually am making some nice progress. Been lifting since January with little or few incidents. I am an old SOB 44 with some injuries from playing football, but I've been able to work around those, even eliminate some of them through weight training.

Is it best to just give my elbow a rest. The pain or discomfort is slight, but I can still feel it. I just don't want to make it worse or turn it into a bigger problem. This might be one time where if I was on AAS or something that it might heal up quicker...don't know.

Last edited:
Tendinitis has been my main enemy since I started weight lifting. When I was younger I overdid it on my arm (pitching in Baseball + QB in football) and to this day, 10 years later I struggle with it. If you go to the doc they will tell you the same thing "Take 4 ibuprofen 4 times a day and drink a lot of water." Do that, ice it, and don't lift anything with your arms for a week or two then take it easy and do lighter reps for the next couple weeks. If you need to, do more reps to still get a good workout in.

Its the kind of thing you DONT want to turn into a chronic problem, trust me on that one ;)

When I was at the peak of my lifting 4 years ago, I developed tendonitis in the same area. Made it real difficult on heavy bench and tricep work. I saw my doctor about it and he explained that once you devleop it, it's something you'll always have to deal with on some level if you continue to stay active. He advised to ice it and give it rest for a couple of weeks, but that if I insisted on continuing to work it (which he said would not be damaging if I kept it moderate) he would prescribe me some Ibuprofen to take through those workouts. I rested for about a week and then got back to my workouts (sligthly toned down) with about 500mg of Ibuprofen and I was good to go! No pain during workouts and in a couple of weeks the pain subsided on it's own. Rest is always the best medicine for an injury, but my stubborn ass found a work around for the inflamation and it worked out. Don't know how severe yours is so you may want to consult your own Doc though.

zxe003 said:
When I was at the peak of my lifting 4 years ago, I developed tendonitis in the same area. Made it real difficult on heavy bench and tricep work. I saw my doctor about it and he explained that once you devleop it, it's something you'll always have to deal with on some level if you continue to stay active. He advised to ice it and give it rest for a couple of weeks, but that if I insisted on continuing to work it (which he said would not be damaging if I kept it moderate) he would prescribe me some Ibuprofen to take through those workouts. I rested for about a week and then got back to my workouts (sligthly toned down) with about 500mg of Ibuprofen and I was good to go! No pain during workouts and in a couple of weeks the pain subsided on it's own. Rest is always the best medicine for an injury, but my stubborn ass found a work around for the inflamation and it worked out. Don't know how severe yours is so you may want to consult your own Doc though.

It's really not that severe. It was brought on by a strain. It's still sore in one spot. I can feel it a bit. Seems to be a small knot where the injury ocurred. I just don't want to do any damage. Maybe I need to do leg workouts, and keep icing it till it goes away. What about using Aleve? It's an anti-inflammatory?

Caleb's Tree said:
It's really not that severe. It was brought on by a strain. It's still sore in one spot. I can feel it a bit. Seems to be a small knot where the injury ocurred. I just don't want to do any damage. Maybe I need to do leg workouts, and keep icing it till it goes away. What about using Aleve? It's an anti-inflammatory?

That's good, probably more annoying than painful. The Aleve may work, it's worth a shot. Nothing was strong enough for me except the Ibuprofen.

zxe003 said:
That's good, probably more annoying than painful. The Aleve may work, it's worth a shot. Nothing was strong enough for me except the Ibuprofen.

Man, I hate taking off. I shouldn't lose too much if I take a second week off. I maybe have to scale back.

Caleb's Tree said:

Aleve is the bomb! I have tendonitis in both elbows and it flares up when I bench heavy. Aleve+advil+ice = pain free

Ibuprofen and avoiding the exercises that aggrivate it whilst still using the elbow joint for exercises that don't cause pain is the way forward. Stop doing those cable flyes completely too!!

Pressure icing helps mine a lot when it flairs up. Just freeze water in a dixie(5oz) cup then peel away the bottom of the cup leaving the sides to hold onto. Then in small circular motions massage the ice into the area for about 10-15 minutes. This along with some sort of anti-inflammatory (I like ibuprofen) greatly helps me out.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Top Bottom