Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

tell me the story of this photo for 1000K

S

Spartacus

eqqf03.jpg

Viet Cong captive in handcuffs.

South Vietnamese police chief Lt. Col. Nguyen Ngoc Loan didn't say a word, pulled his pistol and executed him. Was supposed to interrogate... or that was the thought.

Photographed by Eddie Adams

The photo ended up haunting Adams, he would not display it in his studio.

Loan lived in Virigina after the War.

Lestat said:
Viet Cong captive in handcuffs.

South Vietnamese police chief Lt. Col. Nguyen Ngoc Loan didn't say a word, pulled his pistol and executed him. Was supposed to interrogate... or that was the thought.

Photographed by Eddie Adams

The photo ended up haunting Adams, he would not display it in his studio.

Loan lived in Virigina after the War.
good intel but still nope

The shooter was the police chief of Saigon. The shootee was a Vietcong prisoner. The shot was staged for the photographer, who didn't know what was going to happen, if I remember correctly. This would have been around the time of the Tet offensive.

The most sensational story during Tet was the cold‑blooded execution of a Vietcong officer in the streets of Saigon. The shooting followed a street battle between the Vietcong and South Vietnamese marines. An NBC crew recorded the fighting and the assassination in its entirety; an ABC camera operator stopped filming at the moment of death. Both reports aired on the nightly newscasts on 2 February; both contained commentary that was extraordinarily restrained. As the victim was led to his death, NBC's Howard Tuckner explained, "Government troops had captured the commander of the Viet Cong commando unit. He was roughed up badly but refused to talk. A South Vietnamese officer held the pistol taken from the enemy officer. The chief of South Vietnam's national police. Brigadier General Nguyen Ngoc Loan, was waiting for him." Neither Tuckner nor Roger Peterson, who narrated the ABC film, suggested that the shooting was an atrocity or a measure of the authoritarianism of the South Vietnamese regime. For Robert Northshield, the executive producer of the "Huntley‑Brinkley Report," the film was newsworthy not because of its political implications but on account of its stunning images of death. Northshield, though, considered some of the scenes too "rough" for the television audience, and so he trimmed footage of blood spurting from the shattered skull of the victim. Perhaps as many as 20 million people watched the execution film on NBC; many more saw a photograph of the moment of death, published in almost every major newspaper.[60]more clues

I read about it in a book
here almost 40 years later I'm having a hard time digging up the "truth"

I found it

"The most spectacular engagement in Saigon occurred when the Viet Cong C-10
Sapper Battalion penetrated the US Embassy compound, prompting a desperate shootout
with security guards and embassy staff. The VC were cleared from the embassy grounds
by 0900 hours (9 a.m.), but American reporters, who had witnessed the fight were
shocked by Gen. Westmoreland’s assertion that this was a VC publicity stunt and
militarily meaningless. The American public was also shocked by the television, film,
and still photographs of the summary street execution of a VC commando who murdered
a South Vietnamese police officer and his family. The photos were taken by Nguyen
Ngoc Loan, the South Vietnamese chief of Saigon’s security forces. Westmoreland’s
prediction was accurate militarily; within forty-eight hours, allied forces in Saigon were
hunting down the VC, and by February 16th, the battle for Saigon was over."

Top Bottom