Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

System shock from milk?

bishonen

Two days ago I decided I wasn't getting enough calories, so I started drinking some serious milk. I've gone through a gallon of 2% ( Hey, it's yummy :D ) and about a third a gallon of skim milk. Since I started I've had an upset stomach, and been bloated and gassy as hell. This makes for a very unhappy bishonen.

Any chance this is just my body getting used to milk again? I haven't had a serious amount of milk to drink in a while, but I have had cheese, cottage cheese, and yogurt on a regular basis for years.

No one in my family is lactose intolerant, and I'm no exception. Having a glass here, and a glass there never caused any problems.

Advice? :jump:

Thats just too much of a calorie jump, and way too much dairy to bump up in a days time. You should have started out drinking a half gallon split up throughout a day or something. Drop the 2% and start drinking skim...slowly work up to 1/2-1 gallon per day. For now I would take some pepto and lay off the milk for a couple days..and no big shakes/high fiber/bars or anything either.

Most people are lactose intolerant to some degree or another. Even though someone can handle a glass of milk or 2 here or there, some cottage cheese once a day, or ice cream once in a while doesn't mean you don't have some level of lactose intolerance. Also, b/c your family doesn't have it, doesnt mean you wont. You might just be exposing your body to more lactose than it can handle, so you are getting the common side effects of lactose intolerance. Do this, try taking lactaid w/ the same amt. of milk and see if you have a problem, or try lactaid milk.

PwB said:
Most people are lactose intolerant to some degree or another. Even though someone can handle a glass of milk or 2 here or there, some cottage cheese once a day, or ice cream once in a while doesn't mean you don't have some level of lactose intolerance. Also, b/c your family doesn't have it, doesnt mean you wont. You might just be exposing your body to more lactose than it can handle, so you are getting the common side effects of lactose intolerance. Do this, try taking lactaid w/ the same amt. of milk and see if you have a problem, or try lactaid milk.

Right, it's because we lose the enzyme that can digest milk (lactase) at around the age of two.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I'll lay off the milk. :)

sremack said:
Right, it's because we lose the enzyme that can digest milk (lactase) at around the age of two.

For most of the world, but not many of those of European descent. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom