Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sugar Evil?

spatterson said:
So is your short term goal to lose fat or to put on muscle?

Aaaaah.... both!?!?

Primarily is losing fat, although I'd like to keep my muscle & maybe even get a little more.

bf is around 20% - I had it done with the Tanita electronic scale thing.

spatterson said:
Tanita, about the least accurate method. Anoyone at your gym that can use calipers or do a hydrostatic weigh-in?

At 20%, if that's anywhere close to correct, you can probably build and lose fat at the same time, but you're gonna HAVE to ditch that sugar for some protein.... And LIFT LIFT LIFT.

I was able to do this until about 15-16%, and then I had to choose between fat loss and muscle gain. The properties that make one possible counteract the other. It's a big waste of time.

Can you detail what you're eating?

Hmm, supposedly Tanita is next best thing after water - but I should do the calipers. (I had the industrial size one in my fitness center, not the hand-held home- thing).

Is 3 days of lifting a week good? 2-4 cardio workouts/week good?

If I could make it down to 15% - 16%, then would it be possible to just maintain & stay right there - with a similar amount of muscle?

Food, surely!

Breakfast is usually oatmeal & bananna. Sometimes cereal (I look for high fiber, low sugar onces) & skim milk, sometimes a little bit of raisins, although I know they should go!

mid morning snack (any of the below - usually not much though):
fat free yougart with wheat germ
or apple & PB (gotta make the switch to natty!)
Other fruit
low-fat mozz cheese,
wheat bread & butter or cream cheese
cottage cheese

lunch: typically left over dinners
Sometimes whole wheat pita bread with hummus & veggies + some other protein (tuna).

mid afternoon snack: any of the morning ones (usually different)

Dinners:
chicken, baked or grilled
salmon (baked or grilled)
tuna
lean pork sometimes
lean beef (not often)
beans (canned & baked or nuked)
salad and/or steamed veggies or plain frozen ones nuked
brown rice
cous cous

Post dinner (dessert!):
Protein shake

I'm 24 YO & 5'4", 135 #.

I usually aim for 1,600 - 2,000 cal per day, depending on how much I work out (or not) in a given day. I would like to get & keep protein around 100 - 120 grams - which would be .9 Grams per # of body weight.

I know that immediately the changes I need to make are to have more of the carbs earlier in the day, in addition to further eliminating sweets!

I just eyeball my portions, but I did count calories for a while a year ago, so I know my eyeball is pretty accurate for serving sizes.

spatterson said:
Drop carbs (100g), increase protein, add fat, and try to get a green veggies at every meal...oh, and add 3 meals. Cut the carbs out completely after your workout. Try to get a pure protein before bed (real food) like tuna, eggwhites, etc...

No porb, eh?

Aaah!

Cut out carbs after the workout? So only protein & veggies at dinner? Do red peppers & carrots count as a green veggie? :) What about the few days I do cardio at 6AM & weekends when I lift at 9:30 AM?

[actually I eat tons of veggies, broccoli, peas, green peppers, romain lettuce, cucumbers, onion, celery, asparagus]

Is the protein shake around 8:30 OK? I know natural real food is best, but I can only stomach so much fish & meat so I think a shake is a must for me most days. I plan to only have ONE shake or bar (low or no carb & low sugar of course).

Is there any reason to get more protein on lifting days? Or should it be about 100 Gram everyday?

What fat should I add? Normally it's from PB, sometimes butter, & cream cheese - also sometimes low-fat cheese, cottage cheese, & olive oil. Is that good? How many grams per day, 30? 40?

THANKS!

Hey,
I think you should give try out what everyone has been saying but you need to also try different things because what works for me may not work for you. I say this because I look and feel like crap when I cut carbs. You just need to take time to see what works for you. You may need to cut carbs down lown, you may not. Also since winter is starting and the holidays are almost here, it may be counter productive to try to get very lean. I'm not sure what exactly your goals are, or how low you are trying to get your body fat down..........but if you are trying to gain some muscle I feel now would be the best time to do it. Then maybe you could worry about getting very lean in the early spring. Just my .02 which a lot of people probably won't agree with. Moderation is key.

I have to count carbs more... I've counted cals (& still often do a tally just to be sure) and protein grams, but counting carbs I just started last week.

I want to be sure whatever I choose is manageable, (i.e. not leaving me feeling lousy!) so I can maintain it. I want to mainly loose fat & gain some muscle.

So if my diet is clean & I REALLY cut the sugar (that is my biggest goal, I think it's what's holding me back more than anything!) than do you have any idea of a time frame to lose fat???? Like how many weeks to get from 20% to 17%?

Is lifting 3X per week, and cardio 2-4X per week a good amount?

Thanks again!

Yup, I did know what I needed, guess I just needed a hefty dose of reality to remind me of the importance of diet & reinforce it again! <I feel so transparent> :worried: Or maybe Spatts is just exceptionally perceptive :)

In the past, my body has responded *quickly* to cutting out all sweets & I've noticed more definition in less than 2 weeks. DOH, you'd think that would leave me a little more motivated to lay off....

I really appreciate this post - it's quite inspirational! I'm gonna check it again when the junk is calling me!

:D

Top Bottom