Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

stuck in a rut

well, honestly i think i could go higher. how many reps should i shoot for on the heavy set? or in other words, how do you determine what is heavy enough? i have a spotter.

and ty, smallmovesall. what a classy woman.

Sometimes I have a spotter and sometimes I don't. If I have a spotter I pack on what I "think" I can get 6 reps with. If I can squeeze out 6 I leave it there until I need help with the last rep or know I won't be able to do it again and then lower the weight. If I can get 8 easy - I add some and if I can only get 4 - I take some off. After a couple of times you will pretty much know where you are. I have been doing 5 sets of 6 and have been gaining rapidly.
If I don't have a spotter I use what I know I can get 6 - 8 reps with and keep the weight constant thru all 5 sets. By the end I am usually struggling for it but I never get so cocky that I have a wreck.

I shoot for the weight I can grunt up for 1, but we have different goals.

sis, youre a STUD. and very motivating.

ok. think im getting a plan together here. shooting for the 150g protein, 100g carbs, 50g fat range.
carb rotation.
increase weight to only 6 reps in each set.
get 5 sets in, but done back to back with no rest.
squat only once a week.

and if theres anything else i should squeeze in there, ill find a way.

Why are you going to do your sets back to back with no rest???
If the weight is heavy enough you will need to rest between sets. I don't mean take a coffee break but wait long enough so that you can tackle the heavy weight again.

I can't understand not counting reps AT ALL when lifting.

Scientifically, you MUST stay within an 8-12 rep range - maybe as low as 4 reps, but if you exceed 15 reps in a set, you're doing muscular endurance training ("cardio" according to some :laugh2: ) and less than 4, you stand to hurt yourself.

I personally have never squatted a weight I couldn't at least do 7 reps with - but that is because I find it too easy to let form go on a squat (damn lower back arch going is my prob). I have to really focus to keep form. With a weight so heavy it's my 6RM, I'd feel too at risk.

I don't think someone who's not getting ready to compete in PL & also who isn't very experienced with lifting should be going lower than 8 reps per set. It's not necessary to get stronger (at this point at least).

There is a reason for the rest between sets - your body can only produce a limited amount of ATP anaerobically. You have to rest to give your body a break from the intense work -> so that you can work intensely again on the next set.

Squat heavy 8-10 reps, rest SIXTY SECONDS or so, go again.

I think doing squats every 4 days is fine - but you really should let your legs rest 48 hours after the heavy leg work - so that means NO CARDIO. Maybe some AR light work, but not a 60 minute bike ride.

spatterson said:
I'mnot sure I understand the basis for this paragraph at all. Scientifically? Less than 4 you may hurt yourself?
I meant that if you go over 15 reps or so, you are [scientifically] not doing strength training, but endurance training.

As for going under 8 reps - YES, the risk of injury DOES increase. The risk of injury for a member of the general population to do a 1RM lift is probably MUCH greater than the risk for a power lifter to do a 1RM lift. I've never read studies on it, but doesn't seem to be a far-fetched thing to assume.

You do increase the risk going under 8RM & it is not NECESSARY to go under 8RM to keep getting stronger. -> But not that it's not beneficial.

Seems to me it is something for someone more advanced (i.e. squatting at least 1.5X bodyweight!)

Gladiola said:

As for going under 8 reps - YES, the risk of injury DOES increase. The risk of injury for a member of the general population to do a 1RM lift is probably MUCH greater than the risk for a power lifter to do a 1RM lift. I've never read studies on it, but doesn't seem to be a far-fetched thing to assume.

How does your body KNOW you are a powerlifter or not? True you are more accustomed to moving heavy weights, but under EIGHT reps is dangerous. BB use sets of 6 all the time.

spatterson said:
Project used to get so irritated at the fact the it was squat day but we didn't actually squat.

He still does that....

:lmao:

Top Bottom