Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

static holds with barbell

110%

when performing this exercise how many seconds do u guys usually hold the weight for each set, what do u think works best?

I don't do them that often but when i do rack pulls at the top of the lockout i will hold the bar for about 5-10 seconds which is about how long it would take me to lockout a maximal weight for deadlift. I htink most will do them for over 30 sec.

When i do these i go usually 10 seconds or so and non failor. I just try to take the same amount of time plus a few seconds that a max dead would actually take

how much weight do u guys use, should i be using at least the weight i put up for a max deadlift since i am just holding the wiehgt and do not have to bring it up into the static form, just pick it up like an inch.

Jimmie Dean and I just started doing thes to help my grip. Hold the barbell loaded to what ever 125 or so do 3 sets each hand for 15 second or so. Go till you can only hold a weight for 10sec.

Holds on rack pulls are great too.

powerlifterjay said:
Jimmie Dean and I just started doing thes to help my grip. Hold the barbell loaded to what ever 125 or so do 3 sets each hand for 15 second or so. Go till you can only hold a weight for 10sec.

Holds on rack pulls are great too.

when you say 125, do u mean around 125% of my 1RM deadlift, also y did u say each hand???

What we do is this. In the power rack, set the pins to halfway between your hip and knee. Put a bar in there and start with a light weight. Grip the bar with one hand in the middle on the knurl. You'll be facing towards the end of the bar, not the bar itself. You can hold onto the power rack if you like, I do. Pick it up and balance it. You may have to put it down to readjust. Hold it for 15 seconds and do the other hand. Two or three sets are good. I've worked up to 185 for fifteen seconds for each hand.

Trust me holding the bar in the rack one handed is different then 2 handed. I mean i rack lockouts i after my set will hold 600lbs for a slong as i can. But 600 with 2 hands is NOT teh same as 1 handed BB holds. 125 is harder with a BB one handed then a dumbell. You are balancing it as well as holding it.

Its tough. And Ed Coan does them for his grip, so we do too!

Top Bottom