Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should I use a 2x4 to ease knee strain during squats???

hesselite

picking up some chalk and a belt i asked the guy at the fitness store some tips on squats. he said that taller people sometimes use a 1" thick board or sometimes 2x4 placed underneath your heels (while the ball of your foot is touching the ground) giving your feet a slight incline. i can't remember what he said exactly, but he mentioned it reduces knee strain for taller individuals.

i'm 6'1" and squat just below parallel.

does placing a board (or a 1"-2" high surface) under the heels really reduce knee strain?

Thx.

--Hess

I believe the 2x4 is to relieve strain on the Ankles, not the knees.
If you have inflexible ankles, it helps to allow you to get lower...

I have very inflexible ankles from past sprains, and putting a board (or in my case a 25lb plate under each heel) down helps me get deeper in the squat while keeping better form...however, be warned: having your heels raised will actually increase the strain on your knees

I had started having knee problems for the first time last year and squats were becoming impossible. I recently started squatting with my toes straight forward (under the advice of my wife) and since then I have had no problems at all. She learned this at one of her recent seminars with some sports doc. Anyway, it is hard getting used to!

I did squats for like a month, but i stopped because my knees hurt so fucking bad. Then I was told by a local powerlifter (won the worlds this year in his class) that i was doing em wrong. Do em right and it shouldnt hurt. MAKE SURE WHEN YOU GO DOWN YOUR KNEES DO NOT GO IN FRONT OF YOUR FEET. make like your sitting in a chair. put feet shoulder width apart, facing at a very slight angle outward. Tense up and then go down, drive through heels always looking up. peace

have to agree w/ Manhood- elevated heels shortens the knee-toe line, increasing knee injury possibilities. Also, this does not promote achilles tendon flexibility and could develop shorter gastrocnemius muscles.
When we perform the squat in 'everyday' instances (picking something off the floor), we lift from the floor in a flat foot motion, pushing through the heels, using glute & leg strength- if squat training has been performed with elevated heels, this 'everyday' movement could cause injury.

When we perform the squat in 'everyday' instances (picking something off the floor), we lift from the floor in a flat foot motion, pushing through the heels, using glute & leg strength- if squat training has been performed with elevated heels, this 'everyday' movement could cause injury.

agreed, use the KISS program. Keep it simple stupid

I think we all agree flat footed is the best for Squats.

The heel elevation is only recomemended for those with Limited ankle flex.

Top Bottom