Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

should I change my routine - 1 yr in

umirin

I have been lifting 1 year. my routine is basically the starting strength routine. you know that one? riptoad or watever his name is. :artist:

I work out mon, wed, fri.

day 1
- squats 3 warm up sets then 3x5 max
- deadlift 3 warm up sets then 1x5 max
- dumbbell press 3x5
- dumbbell overhead press 3x5
- pec dec 3x5
- preloaded straight bar barbell curls 3x5
- forearms curl with same bar as above

day 2
- squats 3 warm up sets then 3x5 max
- standing military press 3x5
- underhand yates rows 3x5
- dumbbell alternating front raise 3x5
- shoulder press 3x5
- lat pulldowns 3x5
- calf machine 3x5

alternate every week 1, 2, 1 - 2, 1, 2

any suggestions. continue with what I am doing or change it up. it's been 1 yr as I said.

my legs have gotten pretty big. my back is pretty good too.

my biceps are bigger than when I started, but still small. ill measure them when im a lower bodyfat.

my forearms are pathetic. I only started forearm curls a few months ago. i have tiny ass wrists and my forearms look like a 12 year old girls LOL :faint:

i'd mix it up
two heavy squat days a week, plus a heavy dl day on the same day as squats?
don't like it.
roughly, try something like this
mon- sq day/back/bis

wensd- bench press day/tris

fri-dl day/back

sat-lighter bench day/tris

start with higher reps then wave it down every 3 weeks, finishing with a week of singles (based on a 8-10 week cycle)
something like that would be a good change imo

i'd mix it up
two heavy squat days a week, plus a heavy dl day on the same day as squats?
don't like it.
roughly, try something like this
mon- sq day/back/bis

wensd- bench press day/tris

fri-dl day/back

sat-lighter bench day/tris

start with higher reps then wave it down every 3 weeks, finishing with a week of singles (based on a 8-10 week cycle)
something like that would be a good change imo
I changed the routine af ew months in. your not actually suppose to but I also read a few things that the program lacks on a few body parts.

I forgot to mention I do overhead tricep extensions 3x5 on day 1 as well.

also im not on a cycle if that makes a difference.

I changed the routine af ew months in. your not actually suppose to but I also read a few things that the program lacks on a few body parts.

I forgot to mention I do overhead tricep extensions 3x5 on day 1 as well.

also im not on a cycle if that makes a difference.

that was a rough skeleton, add to it if you like.
for accessory work like tricep/bicep stuff increase your rep count to 8-12 imo.
and by cycle i meant training cycle not drug cycle

Are you trying to focus on strengh or hypertrophy. Starting Strength isn't ideal for hypertrophy and really is designed to build a strength foundation for the first year or two when a new lifter can make insane strength gains. Hope this helps you some.

EDIT: 1 - 2 years is a bit long but i hope you get what im saying :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using EliteFitness

Last edited:
Are you trying to focus on strengh or hypertrophy. Starting Strength isn't ideal for hypertrophy and really is designed to build a strength foundation for the first year or two when a new lifter can make insane strength gains. Hope this helps you some.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using EliteFitness
my goal first was to build a base because I was so skinny and weak.

I bulked from 165 pounds to 205lbs. around 6 months bulk. honestly though as I said in my other topic my diet wasn't 100% like it is now, so I probably didn't gain as much muscle I hoped.

once I got back from vacation in I started cutting. right now I am 182.

some lifts off top my head are.

- squat 255x5/7 reps.
- standing military 105x5/6 reps.
- bent over rows 115x5/7 reps.
- deadlift 275x5 reps.

for chest dumbbells are 45 in each hand. as many reps as I can usually 7.

your suppose to do bench press but my bench was weak as hell so I moved to dumbbells. it didn't progress anymore after like 4 months.

im not gonna be gaining muscle on a cut so my lifts aren't going to go up.

once I bulk again, what do you think?

I would stick to the program as written or switch to a different program. Also, I wouldn't worry about bulking and cutting just yet.

Like mentioned above the Starting Strength routine is just that. When you stop making gains or it gets old, to move to another program. Weilder 5/3/1 is one I tried. Its four days a week and is only strict about the main lift, the accessories are up to you.....although he does give you a suggestion of which ones would be best.

Now Ive been doing some reading on some Stuff from Coach Poliquin and he suggests that about every 6 exercises(specific body part) you change it up....which means if you squat once a week, about 6 weeks then change something. His suggestion is 6-8 weeks of strength then 3-4 weeks of volume, then repeat. This is what Im currently trying right now but in 4 week intervals.

From My Droid MoFo!

I suppose I will stick to it then for another year then.

The exercises that don't progress though are my chest. bench press specifically. when I properly bulk next itme hopefully I will see good gains on it.

also I am very into the cutting and bulking now. I plan to cut to at least 7-8 bodyfat and bulk no higher than 14%. I never want to have a gut or no definition ever again LOL.

Top Bottom