Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

questions about this basic pl program

binö

Rob of Redford
Platinum
used this before years ago...i'm not a n00b but i'm lacking bands/chains and a solid partner so i'm gonna run with this for a meet in march.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

the questions i have k for answers:
-on max effort day am i maxing out right out of the gate the first week? i see good mornings listed at first...i don't like the idea of maxing out on GMS so i was gonna subistitue dls for them...good idea?
- i don't have a reverse hyper set up or a glute ham raise...just the shitty ham curl model common in most gyms...what i can sub with?
-on max effort box squat day, should i wrap my knees up and go balls out close to fail?
-what is a one arm press?

i'll have more questions i'm sure thanks for the answers in advance

used this before years ago...i'm not a n00b but i'm lacking bands/chains and a solid partner so i'm gonna run with this for a meet in march.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/9week-training-program.htm

the questions i have k for answers:
-on max effort day am i maxing out right out of the gate the first week? i see good mornings listed at first...i don't like the idea of maxing out on GMS so i was gonna subistitue dls for them...good idea?
- i don't have a reverse hyper set up or a glute ham raise...just the shitty ham curl model common in most gyms...what i can sub with?
-on max effort box squat day, should i wrap my knees up and go balls out close to fail?
-what is a one arm press?

i'll have more questions i'm sure thanks for the answers in advance

Ok Ill begin with your first question. Max effort means work up to an absolute max. That becomes a pr the next time you do that exercise your goal is to beat that pr. You can also do a 2 rep max or a 3rm. Its ok to max out on good mornings. There are many versions try em all if you want. I like suspended gm but you can do strict, arch back, round back, cambered bar gm, safety squat bar gm, you can use bands, chains, or straight weight. Any combo you want you can do thats the beauty of the conjugate method. The gm will effectively build the posterior chain. If you dont have a ghr, reverse hyper do regular hypers, stiff leg dead lift, roman dead lift, pull throughs, ultra wide summo deads. If you need wraps on box squat then thats ok but I dont use them. Always go balls out on max effort. A 1 arm press is a db press using 1 arm at a time. That is an assistance exercise dont go balls out on assistance just do lots of volume to build accessory muscles. If you dont have bands buy some from elitefts. There fairly cheap and very beneficial. I suggest finding a pl gym in your area that has specialized equipment. You can search for gyms in your area on powerlifting watch.com.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EliteFitness

Ok Ill begin with your first question. Max effort means work up to an absolute max. That becomes a pr the next time you do that exercise your goal is to beat that pr. You can also do a 2 rep max or a 3rm. Its ok to max out on good mornings. There are many versions try em all if you want. I like suspended gm but you can do strict, arch back, round back, cambered bar gm, safety squat bar gm, you can use bands, chains, or straight weight. Any combo you want you can do thats the beauty of the conjugate method. The gm will effectively build the posterior chain. If you dont have a ghr, reverse hyper do regular hypers, stiff leg dead lift, roman dead lift, pull throughs, ultra wide summo deads. If you need wraps on box squat then thats ok but I dont use them. Always go balls out on max effort. A 1 arm press is a db press using 1 arm at a time. That is an assistance exercise dont go balls out on assistance just do lots of volume to build accessory muscles. If you dont have bands buy some from elitefts. There fairly cheap and very beneficial. I suggest finding a pl gym in your area that has specialized equipment. You can search for gyms in your area on powerlifting watch.com.

cool man thanks for your advice i'll follow it
:)

No prob any other questions just ask away.

on max effort days how do you feel about me doing triples instead of singles?
i feel i could get more outta triples, plus for squats i don't have to worry as much about spotters which is hard to come by plus wrapping up is a bitch solo

on max effort days how do you feel about me doing triples instead of singles?
i feel i could get more outta triples, plus for squats i don't have to worry as much about spotters which is hard to come by plus wrapping up is a bitch solo

Triples are fine to do to mix it up. But dont forget to work up to new a new pr to see how well your doing. You can bench in a power rack for safety, also spud inc sells monolift safety straps they are light and portable, you can set then in a power rack so if you get stuck squatting they will save you. You can buy knee sleeves that slip on so you dont have to wrap up every time. There good for training.

a bit flashy for my taste... though im not at the same level as dave tate, ive been successful with just using the basic lifts, sets of 3's and 1's are my favorite...
im sure whichever route you take will still yield results if you train with intensity and eat well...

also, imo reverse hyper can be subbed with goodmornings...

Good mornings are great but you still need reverse hypers several times a week if you want to squat, dead lift big. They decompress the spine while building the posterior chain. Gm just build pos chain. I would do gm first then finish with reverse hypers. As well as doing them heavy I do lots of light sets to warm up.and for restoration. Those and ghr are essential for a big numbers.

Good mornings are great but you still need reverse hypers several times a week if you want to squat, dead lift big. They decompress the spine while building the posterior chain. Gm just build pos chain. I would do gm first then finish with reverse hypers. As well as doing them heavy I do lots of light sets to warm up.and for restoration. Those and ghr are essential for a big numbers.

not sure i totally believe that they are a total necessity... not all top powerlifters use them; would they help?.. possibly, im sure they wouldnt hurt...

from what information i have gathered, Ed Coan, the least disputed greatest powerlifter of all time never mentioned using them in any program or any of his videos...

though im not much of a bencher, in my weight class, there are only a handfull of american lifters that out deadlift and squat me raw... though i am well behind the very top tier lifters, i still dont think they are essential...

in the last year, ive discovered the less assistance work i do, the more the plateaus ive come to break...

Top Bottom