Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Q about close-grip bench press

lwgy

i used to work triceps with chest, but i am changing up my routine. I will be working triceps with biceps. Can i still do close-grip presses even though im not working chest on the same day? i am concerned that if i do close-grip presses 2 days after my chest day i will still be working my chest when i should be resting it. my workout schedule will look like this:

Day 1: chest
Day 2: legs
Day 3: triceps + biceps
Day 4: shoulder + back
Day 5: off
Day 6: off

close-grip presses is a great exercise for tris

and 2 days after working your chest there is no worrying about it

Yes it should be fine. I'm not sure if training 4 days in a row is the best idea though...

lavi said:
Yes it should be fine. I'm not sure if training 4 days in a row is the best idea though...

Yes. Close grip is mostly all tris. Move your rest days in between your other days.

When done correctly, CGBP's work Tris primariliy. If you are only doing 3-4 sets of them, then you shouldn't have any problems with taxing your already trained chest.

You need to keep ypur elbows in tight bro. The bar should be touching the bottom of your stomach at the bottom of the lift. When I say "stomach", I mean your actual stomach..NOT YOUR ABS!!! Obviously, this is lower than the bar would touch if you were doing regular bench press(bottom of the chest). This is how you keep the elbows in tight, which will result in the tris being taxed primarily, rather than Chest.

Grip is important too. I go ring-finger on the line. Indicated where the dollar signs are below.

O------$ --- $-------O

Get that form right

Atomic Punk said:
The bar should be touching the bottom of your stomach at the bottom of the lift. When I say "stomach", I mean your actual stomach..NOT YOUR ABS!!!

two questions:

1. where exactly do you mean by stomach. I have always thought that the stomach was underneath the abs, so they would be referred to as being in the same place.

2. can it be done in a smith machine? or does the proper form and motion require a regular bench.

thanks.

I lift each body part once every 7 or 8 days. I hit tris about 3 days after chest. I rely on close grip bench, skull crushers and dips. I like the fact that I can stimulate the chest a little especially on chest day I only do flat and incline work as opposed to tricep day where I hit the chest flat and decline/dips.

The stomach is actually fairly high up - most people think of the area where their intestines are as their stomach.

And use a regular bench for sure - smith machine would force you into the wrong motion badly. Just get a spot from someone nearby.

iwgy, do a dry run w/ the smith and have the bar land on your bottom rib, keep elbows in tight and elevate your feet ..it works well and because the bar is balanced you can focus on that ever loving burn.

Top Bottom