Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Psychology.

Gorlim said:
are u serious? wouldnt that take like at least 20 years of studying? or hell more...

It was a joke, dude. Everybody in college and high school I know/knew who didn't know what they wanted to major in ALL majored in Psychology. Philosophy, as we know, is a joke, and I don't even think they teach Astrology in any university other than that crackpot place they were going to open.

Oh well

-Warik

Skeeter1 said:
As far as making a living in the feild of "Psychotherapy" it depends on two things, 1.how good a therapist you are, and 2.how good a businessman you are.If your good at # 1 but not good at #2 youll end up working for $12 and hr at some state agency or something, if your good at counseling and good at # 2 you can make ahigh 6 figure incime.On the other hand, most "Psychologists" do research of some kind.

Very true. The fact is that even to get a license, you have to do about three years of that $12 agency/hospital work. Of course, many state agencies will hire unlicensed people. The new, Draconian requirements for licensure are purely political -- to limit the number of people in private practice in a time when shrinks' incomes have dropped dramatically.

I only made money when I found a niche and, like many ohters, I do as much work through workshops as through private sessions now.

As for the science-vs-art question, it depends on what you do. My background is in psychoanalytical and imaginal psychology and I would definitely call that work an art. But people who do cognitive and behavioral work are working in a much more classically scientific paradigm. Research work is of course empirically grounded. Depends entirely on what your needs are.

The contention that more than 50 percent of psychology is bullshit is probably accurate. In one famous study, people who talked to shrinks were compared to people who talked to taxi cab drivers. There was no difference in the reported outcomes.

Top Bottom