Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

protein shakes for pregnant ladies???

emmab

Just wondering if any protein shakes/bars are OK to take in pregnancy. I am 11 weeks and struggling with getting an adequate protein intake. All I feel like eating is starchy carb food (bad news), and I want to keep up a good protein level for Bubs. Anyone know of any that would be suitable???

I can't recommend one, but stay away from any with Phenylalnine (there's usually a warning on the jar that says "Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalnine" (i had to have one in front of me to spell all that :) )... this may trigger PKU in newborns, so be careful... (if you do some research it may be a case where you only have to avoid it if its already high in your system... i can't remember though)

some things that you may be able to add to the diet are milk, soy products, rice with your fav. meat chopped up into small pieces, beans/lentils (chilli), eggs/egg whites, pasta with meat sauce... (sorry if any of this is making you nausiated :), eat small amounts of what you can often throughout the day and you should be okay

good luck

ps: when i make my oatmeal in the morning i use egg whites instead of water/milk (about a cup of the ones in a carton = 8 egg whites)... doesn't really taste much different, but it has a nice kick of clean protein...

Bump the ProteinFactory stuff. Just watch his sweeteners, I prefer to buy just the protein powder and combine it with our own juice or milk. I have also found that whey makes an excellent soup/gravy base, or substitute for mayo when mixed with flax oil.

Now, I have NO SCIENTIFIC basis for the following: I would be careful with the Soy Isoflavenoids and and phytoestrogen fortified food. I looked and could find no studies on phytoestrogens and unborn children. But, there is beau coup evidence that excessive estrogens DO affect the unborn child. That said, I doubt that you could do any damage with whole foods and soy products missing the phytos. I know that many baby formulas are either soy based or soy enriched though. So perhaps my caution is unwarranted. (Then again there are all those nagging studies saying that we are less virile than our ancestors, so WHO KNOWS?!

The whey, milk, and casineate proteins don't have any of these potential issues though.

BE

Top Bottom