Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Progressive Resistance

Loner

- focusing on form alone during training, not focusing on progressive resistance

That was in the 'what not to do thread'. I tend to focus on form alone and laugh at all the kids that have terrible form doing a few pounds heavier than me.. But I tried searching for it.. what is progressive resistance, if it is going heavier and heavier, wont it not even hit the correct muscles if you don't have the form? Thanks

I think he meant people that are overly anal about form and sacrifice progression for form, because sometimes it's difficult to make steady progress while being super-strict with form. I'd guess, anyway.

By progressive resistance he means adding weight to the bar constantly (i.e., every week/training session).

Adding weight or reps is progressive resistance. I find it necessary to make any growth, and on a continuous basis. Form has some importance, but not as much as most would have you believe. For powerlifting technique and positioning is crucial to move more weight and shorten the distance the weight must travel. For bodybuilding goals form is important, as you do want to target the intended muscle, and you dont want to throw the weight around to the point of injuring yourself. But for me, I have my own form. I keep the tension constant on the muscles Im working, and always tear up the given muscle group very well. I like to incorporate cheat curls with the barbell at times, sometimes with the dumbells Ill go real heavy and throw the weights around a bit, maybe control the negatives. It varies really. I almost always cheat out the last few reps on curls so that I can hit complete failure. In a way, it takes the sets beyond failure slightly, since the arms are already numbed out for the most part. Sometimes I keep it stricter. I like to switch things up and do what I feel. Im not anal about form as some are. I do have some standards though. I dont lift my ass off the bench when flat benching. Aside from that, anything goes in moving that weight. My form tends to be good on most movements anyway, just from the years of training, so my focus is always the progression of weight and reps.

WalkingBeast said:
Adding weight or reps is progressive resistance. I find it necessary to make any growth, and on a continuous basis. Form has some importance, but not as much as most would have you believe. For powerlifting technique and positioning is crucial to move more weight and shorten the distance the weight must travel. For bodybuilding goals form is important, as you do want to target the intended muscle, and you dont want to throw the weight around to the point of injuring yourself. But for me, I have my own form. I keep the tension constant on the muscles Im working, and always tear up the given muscle group very well. I like to incorporate cheat curls with the barbell at times, sometimes with the dumbells Ill go real heavy and throw the weights around a bit, maybe control the negatives. It varies really. I almost always cheat out the last few reps on curls so that I can hit complete failure. In a way, it takes the sets beyond failure slightly, since the arms are already numbed out for the most part. Sometimes I keep it stricter. I like to switch things up and do what I feel. Im not anal about form as some are. I do have some standards though. I dont lift my ass off the bench when flat benching. Aside from that, anything goes in moving that weight. My form tends to be good on most movements anyway, just from the years of training, so my focus is always the progression of weight and reps.

well said!!!!

Top Bottom