Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

power clean help

JohnRobHolmes

ive been trying to find good info on power clean, went though the power lifting subforum and searched the web, and I think i have the idea.

From the vids i have seen, it looks like a deadlift that is basically cleaned at the top, right? Im no PLer, and I really havent seen anybody around local doing real lifts to ask. my town is filled with yuppies, hippies, and the elderly.

If i wanted to practice the moves seperated would i do a deadlift, and a hang clean?

yeah, i have been there, but thanks for the link.

that guys form looks kinda slumpy to me in the power clean vid. its kinda hard to tell if he is doing a bad SLDL and clean or what.

coolcolj's form is much better than the form in the link there. it is basicaly a deadlift until the bar is at mid-thigh, then a hang clean which is a jump-shrug followed immediately by a jump under the bar to rack it (a shallow dip in the powerclean, or all the way down to rock bottom front squat for a full clean). however the 'deadlift' isn't a PL-style pull (i guess you COULD pull that way in a PL comp). you start with the bar right near or touching the shins, with a pretty upright torso, and push through the floor dragging the bar up and in toward the mid-thigh or hip crease. when it gets to that spot (which you can feel) you do the jumping motion (no arm pull) then change directions and rack it. i used to have some good links about oly lift form but sadly don't anymore :( there shold be some on CCJ's journal thread though.

hang squat cleans are the best exercise or drill for getting the powerclean right in my opinion and experience. hold just the bar while standing up (add more weight once you feel like you got the idea), give yourself an inch or two of bend at the hips, and try to pop the bar up with a jumping motion, no arm pull, so you can jump under it in the front squat position. once you get the feel of that, you'll know what you're aiming for when you pull from the floor, and your rack will be strong and balanced because it will be a proper quarter front squat and not a backward lean or a leg spread which are both common mistakes.

thanks guys, i found that link in coolcoolJ's journal. he has MUCH better form.

i will play around with some hang squat cleans and power cleans tonight, just to get the feel of it. im sure I will be a bit sore tommorow anyway.

who wants to bet that my bunnyhop will go up after digging into power cleans for a few months? right now i can get about knee high on my mountain bike, years past I could bunnyhop the downhill rig past waist high- but all i did was ride a few hours a day. it sure would be nice to get past mid thigh again.

look in my journal on the last page :)

there should be 2 links, one yesterday and one from last week a few entries back. usually anything older than 3 weeks will be erased

I have some early arm bend, but not too bad. I haven't done them in a while, but the groove and timing is still there. I guess it's ingrained now

yeah doing full squatcleans will get your form right for powercleans. Otherwise you'll end up doing a upright row revese curl thing. Gotta get the legs and hips to power the bar up. Main thing is getting the start position right, which can be bypassed if you do hangcleans. Line up the bar to ball area of the foot, otherwise it will bang into your knees, shoulders over or infront of the bar

Top Bottom