Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

POST Workout recovery

fitwizard

I was always hearing that post workout is the time for consuming simple carbs (sugars), rather than complex carbs. There is a 'window of opportunity' of about two hours after working out.

This is the best time your body is going to absorb the Protein & Carbs, replenish liver & muscle glycon and speed up Protein Synthesis. It's also the best time to eat fast digested foods with no fat (because fat lowers GI)

However, I am quite confused by modern sports drinks who seem to call themselves 'Post Recovery'. For example, let's take World Wide Nutrition 'Rapid Recovery' drinkhttp://www.sportnutrition.com/pages/rapid_recovery.html

It claims for 35g. Protein (that's great) and only 25g. Carbs!, I don't think that's nearly enough for replenishing glycogen. Also, they emphesize the fact that it does NOT contain sugars. Again, that doesn't seem right to me, post workout I am always allowing myself with high-glycemic sugary foods (That's the only time of day it's allowed).

Can someone explain their thoughts on the subject?

Confusing for me too bro. I always use a lot of sugars after my workout. Big glass of juice and a protein drink. That's what I've learned over the years.

Great question. Post training recovery is the most vital aspect of muscle hypertrophy and strength gains. The recovery proccess is of ultimite importance when one is trying to maximize thier efforts in the gym. It is imperative to properly nourish the body following an intense training sesion, and that starts withe the post training meal. You have your facts straight about taking in simple carbs and protein to stoke the recovery process so it is neccessary to get the most out of your recovery meal imediately following a lift. Muscle glycogen must be replenished for the recovery proccess to begin. Simple sugars(high GI carbs) are best at rapidly replenishing glycogen and creating a desired insulin spike reponse. This insulin spike blunts effects of cortisol and drives not only glucose, but amino acids into the muscle cells. That being the case it is vitally important to take in protein with a high GI carb following traing. This combinatin provides the muscles with glucose to synthesise muscle glycogen and amino acids to begin repairing damaged muscle tissue along with the insulin spike driving these critical substrates into the muscles. Most "recovery" drinks on the market are not sufficient for a serious training lifter trying to add bidy mass. 25g of carbs is about enough to replenish glycogen in your pinkie finger following a workout. It would be best to go with solely carb drink containing 100-110g of carbs along with a protein shake(50-70g). There are carb drinks on the market that have ample carbs in them, but the combination protein/carb drinks don't have enough of what you need to be of any worth unles you drink four or so of them. They may not contain "sugar", but they do contain high GI carbs. Dextrose and Maltodextrin are most commonly used and though they don't read as "sugar" on the nutritional label, they are very good sources of carbohydrate that are high GI and replenish glycogen very efficiently. You can buy these in powder form just as you buy your protein powder and concoct your own post-training recovery drink(drinks are best imediately following a workout due to rapid digestion). Limit fats post training as it slows digestion and is not needed at that point. Search the market and you will find drinks that are solely carbs or you can get the powdered dextrose or maltodextrin. As you said 25g is not nearly enough to supply what the body needs after training so shy away from these products that lure in the unknowing.

Actually, there are 2 "windows of opportunity:" post workout and when you first wake up. Be sure to drink a protein shake when you first wake up. If you do cardio first thing in the morning, dont do it on an empty stomach. Your body has gone for 8 hrs or so w/no food.

Top Bottom