Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Police Officer Charged With DWI

MR.?

New member
Associated Press

NEW YORK, August 20 - The police officer charged with killing three members of a Brooklyn family while driving drunk called a news conference Monday to apologize to the victims’ families and to publicly declare he is “not the monster” portrayed in the media.

Officer Joseph Gray, who faces nine departmental charges, including manslaughter and vehicular manslaughter, said, “I’m not the mindless drunk being portrayed on television.” Because of the ongoing investigation, the media was not allowed to ask Gray what happened that day and whether he has a drinking problem. The officer said the idea to call the news conference was his.

He expressed his regret to the victims’ families; he had previously apologized through his lawyer. He also said, “I just want people to know that I’m not the monster that people think I am.”

Gray has been suspended without pay for 30 days, and is awaiting a departmental trial.

He was indicted earlier this month in Brooklyn Supreme Court on manslaughter and other charges in the deaths of 24-year-old Maria Herrera, her 4-year-old son Andy, and 16-year-old sister Dilcia Pena on Aug. 4. Herrera was eight months pregnant at the time and her son was delivered, but was declared stillborn.

The news conference was disrupted toward the end by one heckler, David Galarza, a Sunset Park community activist who described himself as a friend of the Herrera and Pena families.

“I came here out of justice. He should be in jail,” he shouted. “You’re not a police officer, you’re a murderer,” he said and carried a sign that read: “Jail, No Bail for Drunk Killer Cop.”

Gray had allegedly been drinking for up to 12 hours prior to the accident. An NYPD investigation revealed that he and other officers drank beer in an NYPD parking lot, and then moved on to a strip club declared off-limits to cops from the 72nd Precinct.
 
I'm outraged by this story as I would be with all DWI offenses. Driving while intoxicated is a serious offense.
Within recent years laws regarding DUI/DWI offenses have become increasingly stringent. Consequently, mandatory sentences in many states have been enforced.

Officer Gray pleaded to the victims family for their forgiveness. Also stating that he is also a human being and shouldn't be held to a higher standard.

I feel that police officers should be held to a higher standard of professionalism. A sworn officer is supposed to serve and protect the public interest and welfare. Endangering the lives of civilians by a police officer should be considered serious. Gray was heading to work intoxicated having spent more than 12 hours previously drinking. This is the type of unprofessionalism that continues to reinforce negative stereotypes of law enforcement and adds to an already negative stigma.
 
Even so he is still human, and humans make mistakes. Thats just how things are. Some of these mistakes are more terrible than others. Im sure he is very sorry for what had happened. I give cops credit, especially ones im NYC for all the stress they probably have to put up with. They spend 12 hour shifts risking their life on the streets for the rest of us. Thats still no excuse for his actions, as a cop he should know better but i feel bad for the guy, espcially since the media is basically destroying his life and any chance at a fair trial. Its one thing to report the news, its another to make biased judgements based on what happened.
The man is making an attempt for forgiveness, he is not asking to be let off the hook or anything. I say give the guy a break and stop ridiculing him. He must feel extremely terrible for what he has done and he will have to live with that for the rest of his life.
 
But he claimed that people who know him, know that he's a good guy. He also claimed that the NYPD has a drinking problem as a whole. The family refused his apology.
 
http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/dailynews/dwiofficer010810.html

http://www.cnn.com/2001/LAW/08/20/officer.charged.protest/index.html

"Gray said he accepted the fact that his career as an officer is over, but he faulted police for their handling of the matter. "I feel they've overreacted in this case," he said. "...........quoted from the article above.

The deaths of 3 people and the death of a unborn child shouldnt be taken lightly. As Gray stated above he feels that the prosecutor and the investigative unit "overreacted in the case." Since when did prosecuting DWI/Manslaughter offenders become trivial?
His remarks in my opinion don't seem to be that off a regreatful person.
 
I think we should forget he is a police officer come to think of it; it is no less an act of negligence to kill a family if you are a lawyer or road sweeper.

I believe that if you play with your mind or reflexes then you have to take precautions, there are strict regulations for pilots; so if a whole department of any civic department are out of their heads, maybe some random testing or something could be introduced?

No expert, just don't believe what you do for a living has much bearing on this issue of drunk driving. Mnay people get stressed, we handle it differently and his department drinks...it could happen to anyone who is stupid enough to get into a car under the influence....or still suffering from the night before.
 
Drunk drivers are the most common of all criminals in my opinion. Hundreds of thousands of people committ this crime every weekend but only a select few are involved in accidents. These are the people who are piss ass wasted with no self control. I doubt many people have died because of a .08 BAL.

I just don't see the point in continuously lowering the BAL when the people who cause accidents are usually AT LEAST twice the legal limit.

Back to this case, I think its disgusting that he didn't even have to pay bail, 99% of the time in this situation they will be jailed till the trial. He's just getting preferntial treatment. Usually people in this situation end up serving 3-5 years for involuntary manslaughter.
 
Last edited:
I think the point that is being made is that had you or I
been responsible for this heinous act, it might have made the
local news or the papers, but it wouldn't be in the national
media. This is definitely a 2-edged sword...

What, is this news to someone that cops are human and
routinely flout the law? It's a job perk. Look at it this way,
do you think that pharmacists pay for their Tylenol (or AS:D)?

It really comes down to a matter of what lawyers call "gray areas"
and this is the reason that there is no room for gray areas in the law...
where does the line end? Parking violations? Speeding? Drunk driving?
Vigilante Murder?

Mr.? is 100% correct, police officers DO need to be held to a
"higher standard" for this very reason. If they do not know how to obey
the law or respect it, what kind of example does this set and how can we
expect anyone to respect them and the law is it is not meted fairly?

For my $0.02-
As for the bail, etc... he is certainly getting preferential treatment and
all this asking for forgiveness is just PR bullshit.

:fro:
 
fuck that, i mean come on. yeah the guy did fuck up, but he is getting a bad wrap just bc he is a cop. i dont think any of you can deny that

you cannot say if he wasnt a cop this story wouldnt of made headlines. yeah it doubles the reasons he should of done it but he's still human.

then, to top it off, he tries to hold a conference and apologize and stuff and some asshole comes in and start screaming at the dude. so they show him crying on TV

anyone agree with me here?
 
yeah i know but can you honestly say he's getting as much of a bad wrap as he would if he wasnt a cop?
 
Natymike said:
.

I just don't see the point in continuously lowering the BAL when the people who cause accidents are usually AT LEAST twice the legal limit.

Back to this case, I think its disgusting that he didn't even have to pay bail, 99% of the time in this situation they will be jailed till the trial. He's just getting preferntial treatment. .

I agree. The media in this country continues to be out of control. They forced him to do the news conference.
 
DUI/DWI cases in the state of Florida have become major headlines within the local media. Florida legislatures have increased their focus on the subject of DUI/DWI offenses. Laws are being passed to deter the amount of drunk-driving that exists on the road. Drunk Driving is irresponsible and a common occurance as natymike stated. Its a blessing that there aren't anymore DUI related casualities.

Natymike,

You are absolutely correct. The average citizen would be denied bail. It's a tragedy that Joseph Gray was released on RR without bail. However, only after scrutiny from the media, mayor Gulliani and the local community he was given bail.
 
I hate to state this but here it goes.

When this cop did this he knew what the fuck he was doing. I would not blame anyone for blowing his
head off. As far as I am concerned police officers don't have rights, they gave them up for a piece of shiny metal: The badge.

Who in the hell thinks he has rights now! Fuck this cop!

Enough said.
 
Oh damn, I am now rethinking loads of shit......try this one, one day you are walikng the dog and yu save somebody, you celibrate your bravery, go out, get drunk, get comfiant, get in a car (anybodies) go home and kill a totally differnet dude? Seriously? Am I making sense, I trained and got drunk tonight in aid of science...anybody?
 
Frackal said:
Fuck 'em and fry 'em. I hate drunk drivers with a passion.

I agree 100%. Think if this cop killed 3 members of your family. What would you do? I think the cop and I would have a little meeting with my friend Louisville Slugger!
 
As Warik, I think once said: DUI is basically attempted murder.

This officer should receive the same amount of punishment as one being tried for murder...
 
Cops are held to a higher standard than
most others. For the most part they understand
and accept this.

This is a tragedy no matter who was driving
the vehicle.
An entire family was wiped out, and nothing
can bring them back.
 
HE KILLED 4 PEOPLE. THE UNBORN BABY WAS DEAD UPON DELIVERY ALSO.

THE FUCKING PRICK ASS JUDGE LET THE GUY OUT WITH ABSOLUTELY NO BOND WHATSOEVER. IF THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A NORMAL JOE SCHMOE HE/SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN TREATED LIKE SHIT AND HAD A HIGH BOND. BUT THIS PRICK WAS ARRESTED BY HIS FRIENDS FROM HIS OWN PRECINCT AND TREATED LIKE A FUCKING HIGH RANKING POLITICAL PRISONER OR SOME SHIT.

I THINK HE SHOULD BE GIVEN OVER TO THE FAMILY MEMBERS OF HIS VICTIMS AND LET THEM DO AS THEY SEE FIT WITH HIS PUNK ACE.

JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU, YOU CAN BE A CROOKED ACE COP AND STILL BE TREATED LIKE YOU ARE KING.


KAYNE
 
RyanH said:
As Warik, I think once said: DUI is basically attempted murder.

Quoting your arch-rival is the first sign that you want to stop your evil ways. Don't worry, RyanH, although you, like Skeletor, are true evil at heart (heh heh), I, like He-Man, will be here to help you if you ever want to turn to good.

It's not too late! Renounce Social Security and Gun Control! Preach laissez-faire capitalism! Support the elimination of the wealth penalty!

Together we can make this country as great as it once was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Warik
 
Send him to the Penn

As a former cop and a prosecuter, this cop should be held to a higher standard. I have pulled children's bodies from wreckage because some asshole drunk piece of shit just had to have a few highballs before he drove home. I have sent several people to prison for killing just one person while DWI. The judge who treated this cop special should be removed from the bench. If he is guilty, and the law in NY allows, he should do 3 consecutive maximum sentences.

hasta

litig8r
 
Top Bottom