Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please can someone help me in designing a beginner programme...

stcroix

Hey all.

I've decided to hit the gym again after a very long break. Here is my predicament - I'm a pretty 'big' guy naturally (6"3 with a reasonably large frame and naturally quite mesomorphic) I used to do a 3 day split routine concentrating on the major muscle groups and then do a bit of cardio, however for my own taste (and you hardcore bro's probably won't like where I'm coming from here) I got too big - as in I didn't feel very comfortable with the size I had grown to.

So, can someone please help me design a routine that can give me a more athletic look than a 'bulky' look? I've put on shit loads of fat lately so I need to get rid of that quickly but this time I really don't want to grow the muscles too much, I guess I'm after the "toned" (cliche I know!) look. I'm supposing that a beginner type program could achieve this?

Any help with a program would be greatly appreciated!

Also, off topic, I read on here about a year ago about a product that you could rub on your skin (abs, under your neck, on cheeks etc.) that seemed to melt that last bit of fat off.. can anyone point me in the direction of a thread relating to this product?

Many many thanks!

Brad.

Train for strength with the big 3 lifts(squats, deadlifts, and bench press) and then add a few supplementary lifts that are more for size(or tone....I hate saying that).

mon-
deadlifts 4x6 or 5x5
BB bent over rows 3x10
pullups 3x10
t-bar rows 2x12
DB or BB curls 2x12

wed-
bench press 4x6 or 5x5
incline DB bench press 3x10
standing or seated BB military press 3x10
parallel bar dips 3x10
tricep exstensions 2x12

fri-
squats 4x6 or 5x5
stiff-leggded deadlifts 3x10
walking lunges 3x10
weighted hypers 3x10
calf raises 4x12

however, even with a good routine, getting "toned" is all about losing body fat and in order to do this you have to eat right and do cardio. i suggest doing some reading on proper nutrition and setting up a good diet.

My advice if you aren't concerned with size or strength is to find something you like. train in a way that will give you a good workout and keep you consistent. As far as the 'bulky' look goes, you don't get bulky in the gym, you get bulky in the kitchen, so probably your main focus should be the diet.

Yeah, i agree on diet. If you want to shed weight, eat less. Ripstones recommendations on routine would work pretty well for weight loss too (if your diet is in check).

Thanks very much for the help and advice!

Is there any way I could get away with a 2 day split? then cardio for the remaining 3 days of the work week?

How would a program like this go, or is it a bad idea altogether?

Cheers

do that 3 day routine, and hit cardio MWF too. If your not focused on just strength gain, that would shed the fat fastest. Just do cardio last and keep the weights lighter and do the sets with little rest in between to up the intensity.

JohnRobHolmes said:
do that 3 day routine, and hit cardio MWF too. If your not focused on just strength gain, that would shed the fat fastest. Just do cardio last and keep the weights lighter and do the sets with little rest in between to up the intensity.

I agree. Stick with resistance training 3x a week. Lifting will help speed up your metabolism much more than doing cardio. Having a faster metabolism means burning more calories/fat throughout the day even when you are not woking out. This will help you lean out for sure.

stcroix said:
Thanks very much for the help and advice!

Is there any way I could get away with a 2 day split? then cardio for the remaining 3 days of the work week?

How would a program like this go, or is it a bad idea altogether?

Cheers

Sure, you can get away with a 2 day split, if you do full body workouts. You can train on Mon and Thurs, this works well for a lot of people.

Top Bottom