Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Old flicks

theoak01

New member
whats your favorite? and why?

i just finished watching blue skies with frankie avalon and bing crosby, great movie imo.

movies back in the 40's 50's and 60's are much better then the trash out there today

a movie i really want to see is american graffiti,any reviews?
 
Oh,

Rear Window - Its a Hitchcock flick. One of my favorites.
The Shop Around the Corner - The movie "You've Got Mail" w/ Tom Hanks used the theme.
Shenandoah - Great movie about a family living in Virginia that's against the Civil War.

Those are my Jimmy Stewart movies.
 
From Here To Eternity
Sparticus <sp?>
Ten Commandments

BTW, the movies are only good back then because only the good ones have surived. All the shitty movies that were made back then have been long forgotten.
 
EnderJE said:
From Here To Eternity
Sparticus <sp?>
Ten Commandments

BTW, the movies are only good back then because only the good ones have surived. All the shitty movies that were made back then have been long forgotten.


sweet ill have to check em out,and your right how the bad ones are forgotten
 
Oh god, just about ANYTHING on basic cable TCM ...

Some of my favorite oldie movies -- I actually think a few are from the 60s:

Some Like It Hot (actually just about anything with Jack Lemmon, most of marilyn monroe's stuff was pretty good too)

Bell Book and Candle (jack lemmon again)

Arsenic and Old Lace (actually, just about anything with carey grant for that matter)

Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter

Anything with Spencer Tracy & Katherine Hepburn (Guess Who's coming to Dinner?, Pat & Mike, Woman of the Year)

By Yul Brynner: Tarus Bulba/the Magnificent Seven/The King and I

By Humphrey Bogart: African Queen/Maltese Falcon/We're No Angels/The Caine Mutiny

Rex Harrison: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir/Dr. Doolittle/My Fair Lady/Anna and the Kind of Siam (which is the "nonmusical" version of the king and I, slightly different take on the same story).

That list should get you started. :D
 
nycgirl said:
Oh,

Rear Window - Its a Hitchcock flick. One of my favorites.
The Shop Around the Corner - The movie "You've Got Mail" w/ Tom Hanks used the theme.
Shenandoah - Great movie about a family living in Virginia that's against the Civil War.

Those are my Jimmy Stewart movies.


Harvey
Winchester 76
The Shootist

Those are some of my favorite Jimmy Stewart movies, the ones you listed are great also. He's my dad's favorite actor so I grew up watching his movies.

Cheers,
Scotsman
 
I currently also own about 50-60 John Wayne movies.

Also love Yul Brenner movies, Westworld was awesome along with the other's mentioned already.

High Noon is a classic.

Basically any old western will interest me enough to watch it.

Cheers,
Scotsman
 
I'll watch anything that has the redhead in it: White Heat, Angels with Dirty Faces.

I'm a big-time Hard Boiled/Film Noir fan. Bogart is a personal hero. Although I look like Clark Gable when I'm tan...lol...anyone say Key Largo, or Greed? Those are great.

I also love Laurel and Hardy, Marx Bros., most of Chaplin's stuff.

I love all of Billy Wilder's films. And Fritz Lang. M is amazing.

Never liked Breakfast at Tiffany's. I dunno why.

Rio Bravo is hands down the best John Wayne movie...maybe a tie between it and The Quiet Man...The Searchers, and all of John Ford's movies...are amazingly shot.

Great film in the 70's, too...John Cassavetes was an amazing director.

The state of film is so sad right now. Capote and Closer were the only films I have seen in the past 5 yrs. that felt like classics.
 
ask wodin. If i am not mistaken he was hitting middle age back in the 40's. I remember his tales of polishing his knob to the likes of clara bow.
 
LOL...Clara Bow was definitely the IT girl.

You think Wodin killed the Black Dahlia?
 
saint808 said:
ask wodin. If i am not mistaken he was hitting middle age back in the 40's. I remember his tales of polishing his knob to the likes of clara bow.
I'm going to cook your liver in an nice chianti and serve it with favre beans.
 
theoak01 said:
whats your favorite? and why?

i just finished watching blue skies with frankie avalon and bing crosby, great movie imo.

movies back in the 40's 50's and 60's are much better then the trash out there today

a movie i really want to see is american graffiti,any reviews?

I liked North By Northwest with Cary Grant.

Am. Graffitti was a great movie, made in the 70's about the 50's, very accurate according to my grandfather. I love it, one of my favorites.
 
Harvey
Can't Take It With You
Anatomy of a Murder
Citizen Kane
Some Like it Hot
12 Angry Men
Arsenic and Old Lace
Casablanca
Dial M for Murder
Hidden Fortress
The Maltese Falcon
On the Waterfront
The Ox-Bow Incident
Yojimbo
The Shop Around the Corner
To Be or Not to Be
Stalag 17
Seven Samurai

Just to name a few. I own a crapload of great old movies. Pretty much anything by Hitchcock or Kurosawa is worth watching.
 
novamanms said:
The state of film is so sad right now.

No it's not. In fact, I think the 90's, 00's are gonna be comparable to the 40's and 50's as far as film quality goes. 60's 70's 80's and were the worst decades for movies.
 
Really?

Care to share what's been so good in film the past 16 yrs?
 
I'm curious, but you don't have to if you don't want. PM if you want.

Are we talking mainstream film or the indy scene here?
 
I"m a Fugitive from a Chain Gang with Paul Muni

I just bought it for my father for Christmas and watched it..great great movie

1932
 
Here's a few of my favorites:

3-Iron
Adaptation
Almost Famous
Amelie
American Beauty
American History X
Amores Perros
Awakenings
Being John Malkovich
The Big Lebowski
Blue Velvet
Chungking Express
City of God
The City of Lost Children
Down by Law
The Experiment
Fargo
Finding Neverland
Following
Garden State
Glengarry Glen Ross
Goodfellas
Heat
Hotel Rwanda
I'm Not Scared
In America
In the Name of the Father
Infernal Affairs
The Incredibles
The Insider
Kontroll
L.A. Confidential
Life Is Beautiful
Miller's Crossing
The Motorcycle Diaries
Mulholland Drive
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring

Bleh, got bored, so that's it.
 
novamanms said:
I'm curious, but you don't have to if you don't want. PM if you want.

Are we talking mainstream film or the indy scene here?

I don't really differentiate between the two. If it's a good movie it's a good movie.
 
I understand not differentiating, but what I fundamentally meant was the state of mainstream film.

Out of the 37 films you listed, only 6 or 7 of those are American mainstream films that were extremely successful at the box office.

Also, Scorsese, Mann, and the Coen Bros. are the three Americans on there that really stick out. They are all awesome, don't get me wrong. But the argument I should have went into more detail about was that from 20's until the 50's, every director in Hollywood was solid. Every actor knew how to act. The artform and profession was sacred. And the ratio of classics to each film produced was much higher. Nowadays, one has to swim through a sea of shit to find truly good films. Back then, there wasn't even a need for an Indy scene. Now, the international market and indy market is the only place talent predominantly comes from.

And I can count like 5-10 truly great actors since the 70's. Male or female. Of course, I'm real picky about actors.

And I agree with most of those selections. I could split haird with a few of those, but that isn't my point.
 
That's all true, but you also have to take into consideration that there are a higher total volume of movies made today. Therefore there's bound to be more crap out.

But I think if you compiled all the best movies of the 90's 00's (when the 00's are done) and compiled the best from the 40's and 50's you would come out to a very similar number. With maybe a slight edge to the older films. Obviously there's going to be some difference in opinion but I've found that most film buffs have the same basic taste in movies.

That's really all I was saying. I think 06 is gonna be a particularly good year.
 
I see what you're saying. It just always pisses me off that so many people settle for so many second-rate movies. Of course, I have friends that think King's Ransom was a great film.

05 had some great films. No doubt about that. Capote was the best film I've seen in a long, long time. I hope 06 is a good year.
 
strangebrew said:
Here's a few of my favorites:

3-Iron
Adaptation
Almost Famous
Amelie
American Beauty
American History X
Amores Perros
Awakenings
Being John Malkovich
The Big Lebowski
Blue Velvet
Chungking Express
City of God
The City of Lost Children
Down by Law
The Experiment
Fargo
Finding Neverland
Following
Garden State
Glengarry Glen Ross
Goodfellas
Heat
Hotel Rwanda
I'm Not Scared
In America
In the Name of the Father
Infernal Affairs
The Incredibles
The Insider
Kontroll
L.A. Confidential
Life Is Beautiful
Miller's Crossing
The Motorcycle Diaries
Mulholland Drive
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...And Spring

Bleh, got bored, so that's it.
Miller's Crossing
that film got nowhere near the attention it deserved
 
4everhung said:
Miller's Crossing
that film got nowhere near the attention it deserved

Yeah, tell me about it. I'd say it's one of the best gangster flicks ever made. Right up there with The Gofather.
 
"Bernie Bernbaum is a conglomeration of Joel, Ethan, people that I've met, and imagination. He's a guy who's just trying to be a survivor. He's constantly on the move. Which is kind of Jewish history. But I was also thinking of a street hustler, just trying to keep alive from moment to moment."
 
Blood Simple is my favorite of the Coen Bros. films...and I can't even say why. It's obviously not their best.

As an interesting side note, they filmed Oh Brother about 2 hrs. south of where I live, and a few girls I went to high school with were extras.
 
James Cameron wanted Chuck Norris to play the Terminator. However, upon reflection, he realized that would have turned his movie into a documentary, so he went with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
 
Strange Brew, Highlander, Hot Dog the movie, Ski School, Better off Dead, Band of the Hand, Amazon women from the Moon, just stay away from that Breakfast Club shit
 
strangebrew said:
Here's a few of my favorites:

3-Iron
Adaptation
Almost Famous
Amelie
American Beauty
American History X
Amores Perros
Awakenings
Being John Malkovich

Bleh, got bored, so that's it.

Help me out with Being John Malcovich. I don't know how many times I've watched that movie trying to figure out what the freaking HYPE about it was, it was like Gilliam's Brazil, that's another one I've sat through at LEAST 4 times just trying to figure out WTF.

I just don't see how that can be in the same boat with a movie like Awakenings or GlenGary Glen Ross or Hotel Rwanda or The Incredibles ...

And how could you leave out O' Brother Where Art Thou!!! :qt:
 
MuscleMom said:
Help me out with Being John Malcovich. I don't know how many times I've watched that movie trying to figure out what the freaking HYPE about it was, it was like Gilliam's Brazil, that's another one I've sat through at LEAST 4 times just trying to figure out WTF.

I just don't see how that can be in the same boat with a movie like Awakenings or GlenGary Glen Ross or Hotel Rwanda or The Incredibles ...

And how could you leave out O' Brother Where Art Thou!!! :qt:

I left out a shitload of my favorites. Too lazy to post them all. I never knew there was hype about BJM, it was a great movie, but not everyones cup of tea.
 
Movies like Being John Malkovich tend to get a lot of attention due to the screenwriter being Charlie Kaufman (Adaptation, etc.).

He's generally considered the most creative screenwriter in the business today.
 
Top Bottom