Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

OK, who's tall and does ATF squats?

SteelWeaver

It seems like most of the guys over at the training board are pretty much ape over full squats - they build much bigger mass faster blah de blah, right? TripleV, I know you like them!

OK, so I wanna try - for the taller woman over here - any problems doing these? I tried with just the bar the other day, just for fun - didn't seem too hard (but then it was just the bar!), but stance was wider, and couldn't get ALL the way down.

Is this generally the case? How wide does one go?

i stand wider than shoulder width with my toes pointed out a lil.
and make sure you look up and stick your ass out, like you are going to sit on a chair sorta thing. I always do a practice warm up with no weights, so i get comfortable with the movement and sort of warm up physically and mentally prepare myself too.

i also do feet parallel and close together after the deep sumo squats too.just different positioning but same sort of deal. feet around 6 inches apart, parallel, and sit that ass down low, almost to the ground and stick it out and back. This is how you dont fall forward (which i have btw ;) )

It takes a bit of practice but make sure you get the form b4 the weights. who cares if its the bar "only".

btw im 5'6", i know im not that tall...but i thought id still reply :D

I'm 5'9, and find I cant get as "low" as my shorter workout partners. My knees feel a little achy lately. I know TV3 uses wraps, and I am thinking of using some also. I try different foot positions also ; start out wide, and then go in narrow.

Other than that, I love to do them. Its the best thing I have done workout wise for my legs, where I can see some major improvements.

i do them....

and i'm 5'-9"....it helps to stretch hamstrings really well before starting out and between every set...also just use light weights until u get your form down...these are awesome though for shaping butt and thighs!

Hey thanks everyone - you guys are great!

TV - Thanks tons - you know I didn't mean ONLY the tall people - I specially called on you 'cause you're the Queen of Booty around here. I just wanted to know if tall people had any discomfort getting down, or any knee problems from them. I have to really watch my knees on regular squats, otherwise they start sneaking forward over my toes.

My knees are going to try and travel more on a narrower stance, right?

Do you all still include regular parallel squats? I'm thinking to keep in a few sets of those, since I've managed to work the weight up on them, until I can do a reasonable amount of weight on full squats. What do you think?

Mainly because the knees take alot to stress because of the greater distance(and length of) the femur has to travel...

I find parallel squats stress my knees more because of the braking you have to do when your knees approach 90 degrees. ATF feels more natural since you are taking yourself through the full range of motion.

It isnt the actual height that is the problem.....its the length of your legs relative to your torso.

If you have long legs relative to your torso you have to lean forward alot in order to keep your centre of gravity above your heels (where it should be). Trying to go deep can then mean that your torso runs into your thighs, making you sit back, so you end up sitting on your ass. Thats a bad place to be if you have a bar on your shoulders :)

If you use a wider stance to circumvent the problem of leaning, it is much more difficult to get deep. This is because your hips lock up preventing you from getting deep. Try it.......try squatting down at different foot spacings.....and compare pointing your toes out and pointing em forward. They both affect the height at which your hips lock. Alot of powerlifters use this to prevent them from having to apply the brakes when they hit parallel (although there are other reasons for it).

spatterson said:
I have to ask...

I'm confused. Why would taller people have more trouble going deep?

Top Bottom