Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Not Lean or Massive. Which One First???

NewGuy1980

I am 20 yrs old, 5'8 -- 173 lbs probably 16-18% BF. I am not a hard gainer (Working out on a off for a year I went from 155 to 173 -all natural-BF% stayed the same). My questions is, I have never been lean in my life, I want that Ronnie Coleman look - eventually, but i am developing a hardcore bodybuilding program right now (getting laid off gives you that luxury of time) and want to know if it would be better to cut my BF now, then go for mass later. Or just start mass building now and cut my BF later. 2 major reasons why i ask. I know you have to dedicate your life to working out/dieting if you want the results I desire, and I'll plainly admit - I havent. I have a really hard time losing weight. I put on muscle rather easy (go figure, my dad is 5'2 130 lbs). I think if I cut my BF at least to the point to see my abs (never have), my motivation would skyrocket and there would be no stopping me. Also, I am thinking if i go on a bulking cycle now, my BF will sky rocket and it will be that much harder to cut my BF% down. So I leave this with you. What do you think?? I am pretty sure you will say "goals are on a personal basis, go with what you think will make you more happy, but I am just curious to see what the experienced suggest. I mean thats what this is all about right?

On a side note, I picked up some boxing gloves, a heavy bag, and a speed bag. Is boxing a great fat cutting workout. Definetly a stress reliver, but will it help shed some BF. I mean I run for at least 1/2 hr every other day, but I think boxing will improve my upper body strength as well as definetion. Any thoughts.

Being a new guy, any thoughts/comments are apprecaited. Even if its to slam me for asking a stupid question. (as long as its done appropriatley).

I think that if you're currently at 16-18%, then you still have some fat to lose. So I'd go with cutting first. Even when bulking, you should never let your bf get above 14 or 15%.

SB - I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think so. If I remember correctly, a normal bf for women is a little higher than it is for men. I believe normal for women is around 16 or 17%.

Thanks gt. So that would be bulking bf, and I (obviously cos it's bulking) can still gain muscle that low? (I say that cos 16-17 is still WAY below the average woman's, but that's mostly poor diet).

16-17 is fairly lean. For women, around 20-22% is a good range to stay at while bulking, unless you plan on competing.

Superbabe said:
Thanks gt. So that would be bulking bf, and I (obviously cos it's bulking) can still gain muscle that low?.....

Not sure I understand your question. You can gain or lose muscle at almost any bodyfat.

hey new guy, glad to see somebody else from Illinois on the board.

i have also been hitting the speed bag and heavy bag almost daily lately and have noticed a reduction in bf without really watching my diet. id like to hear more about how your training goes.

Top Bottom