Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New to Powerlifting Equipment Help??

Hey I have just entered into a local powerlifting meet....my first one. I have never used equipment before. I have been doing some research and I have a few questions:

What Is the difference between a Singlet and a Suit?

Are erector suits effective by themselves?

Do I need a suit for deadlift as well?

I have been bodybuilding for about 5 years now and never used any equipment other that a belt.
These numbers are all raw if this helps?

Bench 425

Squat 585

Deadlift 505

Thanks! This stuff seems like it can get confusing!

:)

BBislife-

Those numbers look great for being Raw. Lemme see if i can answer some of your questions.

Depending on if you are lifting in a raw or equipped oganization, you will more than likely need a singlet AND a suit. You will need the singlet for the bench, and I choose to wear mine in the DL as well.

Not sure what you mean by erector suit. If you are talking Sq suit, do some searches on what equipment is legal in your federation. Materials, plys, designers, all play an important role in selection of such(this is a WHOLE other thread in itself).

Looks liek you have plenty of strength, so if you are lifting in feds that allow more(stronger) equipment/APF, IPA, WABDL/ I would definately look into denim for your sq and bench gear. ==BUT==Denim has a groove all to itself, so you might need to find someone in your area to help you with forms in these.

Also, a word of advice: Be VERY familiar with what the rules of your PL fed are. I know plenty of BB's who have gone to meets, only to be ambushed by pauses on the bench, Sq depth, hitching etc. I have no reason to doubt your numbers, just be aware of what the rules are before you put in your first attempts.

Welcome to the sport, and let me know If you think of any thing else I could help with.

An erector shirt/suit is used for deadlifts.
really, you only NEED a singlet- the difference between a singlet and a suit is the singlet is just a spandex suit- like a wrestling suit or bike shorts with a top to it. A squat suit is generally TIGHT. like, so tight you think you got barbie clothes in the mail and it takes a while to get into.
It takes a while to get used to a squat suit or erector shirt- just like it takes a while to get used to a bench shirt. If you've been training raw- you can certainly compete raw too- the only thing you absolutely need, is the singlet.

I would invest in a tight Inzer hardcore suit that is great for both squatting and pulling. Learning to bench in a bench shirt is an entirely different beast than what you are used to. (GREAT raw numbers by the way, I think MOST of your peers will respect those numbers the most) If budget doesnt permit these items than lift raw and lift proud man.

bbu_animation.gif

BodybuildingUniverse said:
I would invest in a tight Inzer hardcore suit that is great for both squatting and pulling. Learning to bench in a bench shirt is an entirely different beast than what you are used to. (GREAT raw numbers by the way, I think MOST of your peers will respect those numbers the most) If budget doesnt permit these items than lift raw and lift proud man.

bbu_animation.gif

hey.. bodybuildinguniverse person who's name i can't remember- did you drop that project you were working on?
Inzer has a bargain rack btw, and rickey dale crain (www.crainsmuscleworld.com) and priscilla ribic (www.littlepowerhouse.com i think) both sell used equipment.
and www.deepsquatter.com has a forum for selling/buying gear. you can always pic up something cheap, try it, and sell it again if its not for you.

I'm always on a project of some sort. You'll have to be more specific (Jake by the way! :) )

ohhh.. right. jake. (doesn't ring a bell but i'm not that smart).
i'll refresh your memory...
you were selling a dvd and wanted a banner ad, for which i gave you an awesome price and you agreed to pay me double that cause i'm so nice.

Oh yeah, THAT offer! haha

For double the price do I get to use my Buy 1 get 1 free coupon?

Drop me an email ([email protected]) and I will paypal it over to start aug 1 and send you the banner

Jake

i don't have a paypal account.
you can mail it to me. with a 'bench press 200 club' tshirt. :)
(i drive a hard bargain, i know)
i'll email you.

Vulgar_Display_Of_Power said:
BBislife-

Those numbers look great for being Raw. Lemme see if i can answer some of your questions.

Depending on if you are lifting in a raw or equipped oganization, you will more than likely need a singlet AND a suit. You will need the singlet for the bench, and I choose to wear mine in the DL as well.

Not sure what you mean by erector suit. If you are talking Sq suit, do some searches on what equipment is legal in your federation. Materials, plys, designers, all play an important role in selection of such(this is a WHOLE other thread in itself).

Looks liek you have plenty of strength, so if you are lifting in feds that allow more(stronger) equipment/APF, IPA, WABDL/ I would definately look into denim for your sq and bench gear. ==BUT==Denim has a groove all to itself, so you might need to find someone in your area to help you with forms in these.

Also, a word of advice: Be VERY familiar with what the rules of your PL fed are. I know plenty of BB's who have gone to meets, only to be ambushed by pauses on the bench, Sq depth, hitching etc. I have no reason to doubt your numbers, just be aware of what the rules are before you put in your first attempts.

Welcome to the sport, and let me know If you think of any thing else I could help with.

Thanks vulgar...and w8lifterchick. I think i may just use the singlet...the meet is local KY area and is an "equipped" meet. Do you guys think that is ok for the first time just to use a singlet? And if i get my ass clobbered by guys with suits..which i have a feeling will happen.. i might consider the suit.

I squat all the way down (hamstings touching calves) however i do know that PL is only to slightly below parallel which feels kinda funky to me..(i don't know when i am at the right depth)

I bench with a slgiht pause to get a max eccentric contraction with the pecs...however the rulebook for this meet said it is up the descretion whether is a pause or not....??

Ohhh one more thing i deadlift conventional....some guys were telling me i should do sumo....i have never messed with that...looks uncomfortable...any suggestions???

I APPRECIATE THE HELP ENTIRELY THANKS AGAIN!! ;)

Top Bottom