Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New routine (for me) please critique

Colstreamer

Plat Hero
Platinum
Hi all, I'm planning on starting SL 5x5 in January after being recommended I try it. I don't wanna start now with Christmas only a few weeks away as I know family commitments will cause me to miss at least a week of training. However as I've been doing my current routine for tiiiime I felt a change for a few weeks couldn't hurt.
I was thinking push/pull/legs
Something like this
Push:
Overhead press 5 sets 4-8 reps
Bench press 5 sets 4-8 reps
Weighted dips 5 sets 4-8 reps

Pull:
Chin ups 5 sets 4-8 reps
Barbell row 5 sets 4-8 reps
Upright row 5 sets 4-8 reps

Legs:
Squat 5 sets 4-8 reps
Clean & jerk 5 sets 4-6 reps
Deadlift 5 sets 4-8 reps

Note: I aim for 8 reps (except on C&J and deads) but usually find myself failing on the 5th 6th rep after the third set.

Ok so I obviously know what pushing & pulling movements are! And of course leg excercises, I was just wondering if this is enough? Or should I add more?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :D

Thi looks good and it should be plenty enough. However i would recommend not going to failure all the time.

Also 5 heavy sets of deadlift and squats on the same day might be too much for some.
If you feel like you can't do both exercises with high intensity i suggest you move the deadlift as the 1st exercise on the pull day and add another exercise to your leg day such as lunges

Thanks, so I'll make it 5 reps per set rather than go to failure. Squats and deads on the same day hasn't been a problem for me so far, I use a much lighter weight on the C&J it's more of a break in between the other two, the only reason I don't always do the same number of reps is because I get quite out of breath doing them. Having said that I will be hitting them more often than my previous 4 day split so I may have to alternate which I do each time, I don't wanna do anything leg related on another day as it usually takes a few days for my legs to fully recover

Thanks, so I'll make it 5 reps per set rather than go to failure. Squats and deads on the same day hasn't been a problem for me so far, I use a much lighter weight on the C&J it's more of a break in between the other two, the only reason I don't always do the same number of reps is because I get quite out of breath doing them. Having said that I will be hitting them more often than my previous 4 day split so I may have to alternate which I do each time, I don't wanna do anything leg related on another day as it usually takes a few days for my legs to fully recover

yes 5 reps would be perfect. And if you feel strong enough doing both deadlift and squat on the same day then keep it this way until you feel like you can't progress anymore.

edit: are you planning on doing this routine monday-wednesday-friday?

edit: are you planning on doing this routine monday-wednesday-friday?

No I was planning on 3 days on 1 day off so it'd go mon, tue, we'd, rest thurs then repeat from Friday over the weekend and so on.
V

If the leg volume is too much you could simply set the deadlift at 3 sets of 5 or even a single set of 5 with progressive resistance each week.

In my experience the deadlift needs very little volume to progress, just ample intensity.

If the leg volume is too much you could simply set the deadlift at 3 sets of 5 or even a single set of 5 with progressive resistance each week.

In my experience the deadlift needs very little volume to progress, just ample intensity.

Thanks, that sounds like a plan. It'd also shorten my workouts as leg day is usually the longest for me by far.

Top Bottom