Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

New Push/Pull Critique

cmarcell

Switching over to a Push/Pull routine for the first time, 4 days a week lifting.

Monday:
Back Squats
Flat Bench Press
Incline DB Press
Military Press
Skullcrushers
Calf Raises
Core (Abs)

Tuesday:
Pulldowns
BB Rows
Seated Leg Curl
Barbell Curls
Lateral Raises
Core (Lower Back)

Thursday:
Front Squats (Lunges)
Incline Barbell Bench
Dips (Decline Bench)
CGBP (Pushdowns)
Calf Raises
**DB Shoulder Press
Core (Abs)

Friday:
Deadlifts (SLDL)
Seated Rows
Rear Delt Rows
Hammer Curls
Shrugs
Core (Lower Back)

This would give the following breakdown in terms of how many exercises per body part I do:

Quads-2
Hamstrings-2
Chest-4
Back-4
Biceps-2
Triceps-2
Shoulders-3
Traps-1

The exercises in (xxx). What that means is basically I haven't decided which to do OR I might just do which ever one I feel that day OR in the case of the deadlifts and SLDL, I only do deadlifts once every 2 weeks, so I'll be def. rotating that.

Edit:
*The DB Shoulder Presses- optional at this point. Haven't decided. I don't know if its necessary to do shoulders 4 days a week. I hit the anterior, lateral, and posterior each once a week. Sometimes I'll hit the anterior twice. IDK.

*I could add in some other quad work to do each push day. It would only be something like an extra 2 sets. But I feel like the brunt of my work should be put towards the quads, chest, and back. I do upper chest twice a week, lower chest once, and the whole chest once because the upper needs work.

I just read a book by Mark Rippetoe called Starting Strength. In that book he mentions that if you ever do flat bench and overhead presses during the same routine, then there is no need to do inclines. So I guess if that is true, then you can ditch incline dumbbells on Monday. Maybe just go with the barbell flat bench and overhead press on Monday and the incline and dips on Thursday?

Also, I've heard it might be better to do squats on your pull day. Reason being is that they hit many of the same muscles in the legs and lower back as lot of pulling movements like deadlifts and good mornings. You may also find it difficult to go heavy on deads th day after squatting. I know I had always had a problem with that in the past, although maybe you won't.

My current push/pull split looks like this:

MONDAY
Barbell Bench Press
Dips
Tricep Extensions
Crunches

TUESDAY
Front Squats
Dumbbell Rows
Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
Chin-Ups

THURSDAY
Barbell Standing Press
Dumbbell Bench Press
Close-Grip Bench Press
Side Bends

FRIDAY
Trap Bar Deadlifts
Barbell Rows
Good Mornings
Lat Pulldowns

Last edited:
I'll def. take your advice. About the deadlifts one day after squats. It's only either going to be front squats (so lighter squats) or lunges. Deadlifts should be fine after that. But I'll def. look at the rest.

this is a bit much imho, heres my current push/pull

monday: btn push press, oly squat, cgbp
tuesday: sldl, power clean, weighted chins

thursday: incline press, front squat, weighted dips
friday: pendlay rows, clean pulls, bw chins

remember its not about throwing everything and the kitchen sink at your body. volume, intensity, and frequency of the simple compounds is all you need.

Top Bottom