Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need help increasing work volume

wpolo05

I've been back into lifting for a couple months now after a busted ankle. I have made the expected gains during such a time in terms of strength and size. My biggest concern, however, is that I'm having trouble increasing my volume. My muscles get really tired after 2 exercises - and I need to rest for long periods of time in order to keep going.

Also, I'm not able to do anything Fri-Sun so I do all my workouts Mon-Thur [im looking to solve this problem]

Current Schedule

Mon: Warmup with pickup bball or bike
Deadlifts: 12x135, 8x155, 8x185, 8x185, 6x205 (sometimes do a warm up set or two of cleans after 12x135)

Followed by 2 of the 3...
Seated Row: 12x140, 10x150
PullDown(up): 12x140, 10x150
Barbell Shrugs: 12x205, 8x225

Tues: Warmup with bball or bike
Barbell Press:12x135, 12x155, 8x185, 8x205, 8x225, 4x235 [usually flat]

Db press: 12x60, 8x70, 8x70, 8x70 [usually incline]

Flys or dips: (depending on energy)

Wed: Jog ~ 1 mile
Behind Neck Squats:12xbar, 12x135, 12x155, 8x175, 8x185, 6x195
Seated Leg Press:15x###, 12x### [depends on energy/endurance)
Single Leg Calf Raise: 3x20xBody Weight ~250 [im 6'3]

Thurs: Swim 1000+yards
Arms: Curls/Close Grip, Hammer/Rope Press Down

That's my basic routine as of now - I have made some progress regarding endurance but I feel like my strength has gone up faster. I get really tired after the first two exercises, even though I'm taking 2-3 minutes between sets - sometimes more towards the end. I also throw in shoulders when I feel they can handle the work.

I eat decently. Usually protein bar/drink and coffee in the morning ~ 30-40 grams.

Lunch: Sandwhich or big salad

3:30 Protein bar/shake ~30-40 grams

5pm workout

8pm dinner - varies often

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sounds like a cardiovascular issue to me.

Your diet is absolute s.h.i.t. ... by the way - Not "descent" :)

If you want to get really good at a few lifts instead of trying to "master" everything (not happening) that would help as well.

sgtslaughter - Can you be a little more specific?

I don't think I am trying to "master" everything, maybe I'm wrong. I spend most of my time with the compound lifts: deads, bench, squat. I try to do pyramid sets with great form.

As far as diet goes, I'm not going to pretend its great. I consume 4 "meals" and try to keep protein up - no fast or fried foods. But I am almost 250 [put on 20lbs while hurt], so I don't want to gain any more weight.

Can you offer me some specific suggestions?

Thanks

Protein bars are crap, for breakfast you need a good carb source like oats, and some protein usually people go in the form of eggs, egg whites, beaters, etc.
- Your lunch is doing nothing for you either, another good carb source, maybe brown rice here and chicken, veggies would work nice.
- After your workout you have a window in which your muscle needs fuel to recover, whey protein is best, as it is the most anabolic and fastest absorbing type.
- I don't know what your dinner is, so can't really comment. However, it should generally be around an hour after your workout.
- Something before bed containing a slow release protein (cassein) is best, as you will be going without any food for 6-8 hours, however long you sleep. Cottage cheese, or a cassein shake will benefit you greatly.

GL

Top Bottom