Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My progress is going the wrong way, WTF?

Raife

I have been working out extensively since about the beginning of November. On Dec. 8th, I had a fitness evaluation at the gym. 20% body fat, 186 lbs. I was working out 5 days a week on a split system, 45 minutes weights/45 minutes cardio each day with just cardio on the middle day. I am very serious working out and with my diet and pay very close attention to what I eat (although I don't weigh out portions).

On Jan 16th, I switched to bulking, 3 days a week with no cardio (Mark Rippitoe's Starting Strength program).

January 30th I had my next fitness evaluation. 186 lbs and 21% bodyfat. WTF? I felt like having a large pizza for lunch as all the hard work on my diet apparently hasn't helped much.

Here is me at 20% bodyfat:View attachment 55143

Here is me at 21% bodyfat 6 weeks later:View attachment 55153

Anyone have any idea as to what I might be doing wrong?

your pic you don't look horrible at all. just like an average guy, gotta figure most americans are fat/obese so what you are doing isn't going to waste. BUT you are right, that you should be making much better progress.

i dunno what to tell you besides lay out exactly what kind of workouts and cardio you are doing. and your diet. be as honest as possible, this isn't a forum to flame or attack people.. we will help you as best as we can, but be honest.. people sometimes will say they are doing everything right when they aren't just to make themselves look better, but this isn't the place for that. be as cander as possible

your first step should be to cut down to under 15% body fat. then you can worry about bulking, but bulking cleanly.

Thanks, I really appreciate the response! Basically, I have been doing the same program for about a year now. I know, I know, I have plateaued with it. I was working out in the gym at my condo, which is only a universal machine, along with dumbells only up to 50lbs. Plus, I wasn't that dedicated so I often missed my Friday workout. I joined a 'real' gym in Dec, and continued with what I was doing with 'real' weights. I was basically doing the Weider system and was doing a split system, 4 days per week.

My diet was basically 1L of smoothie in the morning (after my workout). Smoothie consists of spinach, banana, pineapple, ANPB, two scoops whey, flax seed, frozen berries and water.

Snack consists of a glass of water, a tbsp of ANPB and a scoop of protein powder.

Lunch would be some chicken (ofen a mix of white and dark meat, as I buy the whole chickens already cooked). Some brown rice and stir fried green/red peppers and onlines, carrots, mushrooms, etc. (fried in a bit of sawflower oil)

Afternoon snack would be a hand full of raw oats, almonds and sunflower seeds, and a scoop of protein powder.

Dinner similar to lunch, sometimes iwth a piece of fish instead of chicken. no rice. I WAS having the smoothie for my dinner as well up until I started bulking three week ago, which I switched to the above meal.

After dinner snack is a scoop of whey, ANPB and water.

Now that I am bulking, which I am going to do for one more week, I am trying to eat a little more of the above quantities for the added calories I need to bulk. Also, drinking milk with the smoothies and protein powder instead of water.

One thing I know, is that I DO NOT get enough water. Some days, I go without drinking any at all. I am a camel. I know I need to drink a lot more.

My bulking workout is the Starting Strength program by Mark Rippatoe. Alternating days Squat, Bench, Deadlift and Squat, Press, Power Clean, three days a week.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Gotta get your gallon a day in. dehydration will hamper all progress.
Your body is in survival mode with tons of exercise, and low H2O.

I'd try a break from the usual routine. Break cardio and workouts to different days.
Try out different/new workout programs, lift types and cardio types.

Hows daily stress and sleep? These also can create havoc on the body.

Your diet looks great IMO, good work!

DrOiD BioNiC EF App!

With the new workout, have you started on lighter weights?

You really have just done two weeks of the new workout if I'm reading your first post correctly.. how intense are you finding it?

Brownbrown....Sleep was pretty good when I was going 5 days a week, but it was terrible before that and terrible now. Unfortunately, I suffer from insomnia & sleep apnea, which has been a 10 plus year problem. I know, it can be a major issue. Thanks for the encouragement on the diet :)

Rachel, it has actually been three weeks on the new workout. The program is all about building strength and mass, so I am using pretty heavy weights, while focusing on form. Honestly, while the weights are killer, I honestly don't find it that intense as there is long rest periods between sets (2-3 minutes). I just started adding some assistance exercises to it last week such as pull ups, curls and dips. I have always continued to do crunches. This will be the last week for it as I plan on starting a new 6 day routine next week.

I havent been here as long as most of the other members but I have been working out since 1980 or so. I also made very poor progress when I first started. Low testosterone was my problem. Be sure to look at everything when you try and make better progress. Your work out isnt always the problem. Try and get plenty of rest! I have sleep apnea too but I still find that 6 or so hours of sleep works wonders even with sleep apnea. You might not be eating enough too. Yes I know that doesnt make sense, eating more to loose weight. Your body may be trying to store calories for later because it is in starvation mode. Eating more will speed up your metabolism and cause you to burn more stored energy (ie. fat) because it thinks there is no need to store it. Be sure to eat as clean as possible.
Another thing, if you are training natural, no chemical enhancement, You will have slow progress but you wont have the peaks and valleys that a steroid user has. Its a personal choice so dont think Im anti- steroids. Just remember keep working out and make small changes every week. As long as you keep after it you will make progress Just keep going.
Keep your work outs short! One hour to one and a half hours max. That includes cardio. A work out longer than that will put you in a catabolic state and thats the opposit of an anabolic (musle building) state. Even with steroids a catabolic state will slow or stop your progress. Good luck with your program and always we are here to help!

diet or your over training. ionly work out 2-3 days a week and only hit 1-2 body parts per workout and only once a week . each work out is about 45min-1hr.
if your going 5-6days a week your overtraining if your tryign to put on muscle and lose fat.
also hows your diet?

diet or your over training. ionly work out 2-3 days a week and only hit 1-2 body parts per workout and only once a week . each work out is about 45min-1hr.
if your going 5-6days a week your overtraining if your tryign to put on muscle and lose fat.
also hows your diet?

Diet is pretty good, I posted it a couple posts up. Maybe not getting enough calories. I am changing things up again next week, so hoping that it will help. I used to make gains super fast, but maybe now that I am 40, my body doesn't respond the same way anymore.. haha

Im going to go with sleep. If its bad now and it was good when you were making progress then sounds about right. I know several people with sleeping problems...the one with insomnia looks like an anerexic....my dad and a couple co-workers have sleep apnea and are all over weight and have had trouble loosing even with dieting. See a doc about it....if its apnea there is this breathing machine you can use to fix, insomnia prob put you on some kind of meds.

Also I work shift work and when I work too many nights in a row or dont get any sleep during the day because Ive other stuff going on my lifts suffer and I usually gain a few pounds of BF...not sure where it comes from because alot of times I eat less and better on nights and seldom after midnight.
From My Droid MoFo!

Top Bottom