Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My personal best for deadlifts

needsize

Elite Mentor
Platinum
I was pretty pumped today after my deadlift workout, managed to do 3 sets of 5 reps on 500lbs off the floor and it went up easy. And that was at a bodyweight of 217lbs. I've been able to add 10lbs to the bar every week for the past 5 weeks and today didn't feel any heavier than week 1; at this rate I'm wondering how long I can keep adding weight? I'm not a powerlifter, I'm doing it for overall mass, if I don't get a big back off of all this then I'm going to buy a bowflex!

Excellent, man. Deads are really where it's at, and when you're on you're on. Been going up 5 pounds a week for the last 9 months, and my back's finally getting some good size. Keep at it, that's a bitchin lift. :) I wouldn't worry about slowing down just yet. lol.

Thanks, my back has never looked like this before, brutal exercise but well worth the effort. I'm pretty sure that in a couple of weeks I should be able to nail a 600lb single, which is almost 3x my bodyweight.

What style you deadlift, conventional or sumo?

Gotta say that deads have been my favorite exercise for a long ass time... nothing else is quite as visceral if you ask me. Definitely pays off. A 600 single... Damn, I'd be lucky to get much past 500 for a single right now.

I prefer conventional, as I'm doing them as a bodybuilder I don't want to decrease the range of motion and that's what sumo's do.
My max single was a 540, but that was when I could only do 445lbs for sets of 5, so going by that and the feel of the weight I'm pretty sure I can do it in within a few weeks.

Deadlift Set Specifics?

Hey Needsize,

When you perform your sets of 5 reps, do you reset after each rep or do you do 5 continuous non-stop pulls? Do you forcefully bounce the weight off of the floor? How is your grip holding out? Do you use lifting straps?

I can pull 500 and hold it for 30+ seconds (static hold) no problem but when I pull 600+ my grip begins to fail. If my grip were better I think I could pull around 20-40 lbs. more. I like to alternate my grip (overhand vs. underhand - right vs. left - no lifting straps) for more even development. I also pull Sumo 1/2 of the time and Conventional 1/2 of the time for more even development. I pull about the same weight whether I pull Sumo or Conventional. When I deadlift I pull triples, doubles and singles and I reset (10-15 seconds) after each rep in order to perfect technique.

With the weight you throw around, you should get your ass out there and compete at a powerlifting meet. It would be a shame for you not to compete with the numbers I think you're capable of. Keep up the great work! DIP it, GRIP it, and RIP it!

- Screwball

Shit man, I just did 405 for 6 the other day and I was so happy I was tempted to do a victory lap around the gym. I couldn't imagian what I'd do if I hit 500 for reps.

Screwball, I reset for 1-2 seconds in between each rep, I also use just chalk, no straps. Luckily I never used them so I never needed them. As far as the powerlifting thing, I did go that route once a few years back, I was in the 198's, I think my lifts were 540lbs dead, 492lbs on the squat, and 320lbs on the bench. Unfortunately I found out the hard way that single rep maxes aren't for my frame.

Ingram, I did the victory lap for sets on 405 back in the fall so I know the feeling, but I've been able to pretty much continually add weight since then so here I am.

"Unfortunately I found out the hard way that single rep maxes aren't for my frame. "

man sounds a bit scary......but i want to know what you mean by it.

geez you can pull some weight for a "body builder"

what is a bow flex.....im from the other side of the world so please forgive me.

what is a bow flex.....im from the other side of the world so please forgive me. [/B][/QUOTE]

The bowflex is the most single important piece of equipment that a bodybuilder can use. Free weights don't even compare!!

p.s. I tryed to keep a staright face when typing this. lol

Top Bottom