Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My own version of box squats...

J

jenscats5

Since my gym doesn't have a squat rack or a box, I had to improvise. SO, I used the smith machine and the bench that you can move around. Worked pretty good, if I do say so myself......

I've now realized that I go to a "fluffy" sort of gym --- there aren't many serious lifters there and this gym is the best one to choose from out of the 3 in my area.

hey girl...glad to hear you've figured a way to make it work for you. a milk crate is another good alternative, if the bench is too high. you can stack a 35 on the milk crate if it's a little too low.

i know how you feel, picking the lesser of 3 evils. we pay dues at 2 gyms here, to meet our needs.

hang in there.....

:devil:

Hey thanks! Actually the bench is kinda low, so I just used it.

This gym is expensive, but at least it has decent hours & isn't too crowded. The local YMCA is so crowded that you will spend 3 hours there for 30 minutes of work, standing in line & waiting for people to move. I got so frustrated I left. Another option is never open every time I go by the place.

So I'll make use of what I've got......I think I'm the most serious person at the gym. hehehehe

Another option is useing the step boards/risers if your gym has those. If its a fluffy gym, im assuming they do LOL I think 2Shy is using step boards for her box squats as well.

They only have 2 risers for each side, so 4 risers all together. That is pretty low to the ground, I think I'd end up falling on my butt!!

They don't have aerobics or step classes so they only have 1 step with the risers indicated.

Yep. I use the step and risers. The YMCA I go to has tons of these stacked up in the aerobics room. I just go and swipe them when it's leg day. The risers are stackable (I don't know if they're all like that?) so I grab a bunch of those. Stacked, each riser is about 2 inches.

I've also used a bench in the power rack. That one's not adjustable, but it's closer. I only do it when there aren't a ton of people working with the dumbbells.

I occasionally see a guy squatting in the power rack. Generally, teenagers doing curls are hogging it, though.

The 5 women who squat all use the Smith machine. No one ever does deads (you'll see someone occasionally doing stiffies with fluffy dumbbells) or good mornings. I only see one other woman benching.

I hear ya about being the "serious" one at your gym, Jenz!

A smith machine for box squats??! Do the best you can with what you've got, where you are...is all you can do. But that just sounds scarey.

Until you find a better place to lift however, it's better than not doing them at all.

I'm going to agree with Hannibal...doing the box squats in the smith machine makes my back hurt thinking about it. Is there no variation of a power rack or squat rack there? You lose so much of your natural range of motion when you try and do a squat there.

Good luck...:)

Nope, no power rack or squat rack at all. None.

The gym is set up with one room for the weight machines, 1 room for the ellipticals, bikes, treadmills, etc; 1 room for spinning & pilates classes (no steps or risers) 1 room for ab work & 1 room for the weights which has dumbbells & a bench press (free weight).

My back actually is more sore from the good mornings I did.

Anyone want to come to Delaware to show me the right way? LOL

sucks that you have no power rack. do any of the other gyms in your area have a rack that you could go to on a pay by day basis?

Top Bottom