Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

looking for a new gym

Carmen

Elite Mentor
Platinum
My gym shut down, unexpectedly one day.
It was a mile from my house and so convenient and i've been going there for years so everyone knew me well enough to know that i lift heavy and don't want to be picked up.
I went and checked out two other gyms:

one called 'synergy', which has LOUD music and people are like, dressed up- its like a friggin' nightclub, TONS of free weights, hammerstrength machines, 2 sets of circuit training things, with plenty of equipment i never even saw before for abs and legs, as well as an assisted pullup machine and tons of cardio (which i don't use but its nice to pretend i will). Its open 24 hours during the week and its CLEAN. The cost is supposed to be $500 a year but there was this group of orthodox jewish women from my old gym who i used to help weight train and they went and signed up for a package deal together and included me with them so its $350 for 18 months, and $350 a year (or 15 months?) after that.
I went there the other morning and there wasn't one other person lifting weights downstairs, which meant i couldn't bench without a spotter or a handoff since my long haired workout partner wasn't there.

and actually, my workout partner WON'T ever be there because they won't let him train his clients there without him being on their staff and they have some pretty strict guidelines about their training staff, whom they must make work 60 hours a week to fill thier quotas.
he CAN train clients and workout for free at a worlds gym, which i also went to. it opens at 5am and has a ton of stuff too, but no decline bench, which i do at least once a week.
it does have a deadlift platform and bumper plates for olympic lifts.. even though i don't do that.
that place costs $400 a year but i would have a guarranteed training partner who knows how to work with me.... maybe. unless he became unreliable, wierd, or just not available when i want to lift, in which case i'll be at a gym that doesn't have all the equipment i need and will have passed up an opportunity to join an expensive gym at a pretty cheap price.
so... i'm thinking of joining both kinda. like, joinging 'synergy' for the year and a half at $350 and 'worlds' for 3 months. after 3 months i'll know if i'm going to continue working out with my long haired friend or if i've found someone else to spot me on bench days at the other one.

good idea if you have the money for it
at my pretty gym those fools are always in the way, if you found a gym were not that many were in the weight room, i would be in heaven........

i think its always helpful to know you have a spotter..i know you work out at like 3 am lol so the gym is prolly pretty empty..for me its useless since i need a spot for my work sets..i have the same problem every friday its like people by me dont workout on friday i had this older guy spot me for 3 sets on bb front press..then he disappeared and there were no men around..no im not biased its jsut that women in my gym dont lift they use the machines finally after 10 mins i asked this poor girl who looked petrified..i told her dont worry just give me a little tap if i get stuck ..lol i dont know what my point is..i guess i agree with d3 if you dont mind paying for both do it..im at a world its not that bad..just not too many hardcore people..i pay $35/mo for my membership..

wnt2bBeast said:
i think its always helpful to know you have a spotter..i know you work out at like 3 am lol so the gym is prolly pretty empty..for me its useless since i need a spot for my work sets..i have the same problem every friday its like people by me dont workout on friday i had this older guy spot me for 3 sets on bb front press..then he disappeared and there were no men around..no im not biased its jsut that women in my gym dont lift they use the machines finally after 10 mins i asked this poor girl who looked petrified..i told her dont worry just give me a little tap if i get stuck ..lol i dont know what my point is..i guess i agree with d3 if you dont mind paying for both do it..im at a world its not that bad..just not too many hardcore people..i pay $35/mo for my membership..

i don't really have that money, but i gotta join somewhere. i like to bench at 5am, and thats when there wasn't one other person in synergy, BUT... my training partner doesn't like to train then anyway, so either way i'll probably have to bench in the afternoons.
it will be nice to deadlift by myself though, since i don't ever swear in public unless i'm deadlifting and then i somehow turn into a sailor.
because of a shoulder injury, i can't unrack the weight myself when i bench, so anything over 135 and i HAVE to have a hand off, and all my working sets are over 135 now.
come to synergy- my deal works out to less than $20 a month and if you know what town its in (FS) - those are the girls you can look at on the treadmill. lol.
btw, it doesn't matter than i have benched the same or squatted the same as some guy next to me. he'd rather not do his workout than ask the woman to spot him.

:rolleyes:

Sugarplum said:
i don't really have that money, but i gotta join somewhere. i like to bench at 5am, and thats when there wasn't one other person in synergy, BUT... my training partner doesn't like to train then anyway, so either way i'll probably have to bench in the afternoons.
it will be nice to deadlift by myself though, since i don't ever swear in public unless i'm deadlifting and then i somehow turn into a sailor.
because of a shoulder injury, i can't unrack the weight myself when i bench, so anything over 135 and i HAVE to have a hand off, and all my working sets are over 135 now.
come to synergy- my deal works out to less than $20 a month and if you know what town its in (FS) - those are the girls you can look at on the treadmill. lol.
btw, it doesn't matter than i have benched the same or squatted the same as some guy next to me. he'd rather not do his workout than ask the woman to spot him.

well you said it you need to get back in the gym..go with the best equipment/price and if you need to bench in the afternoon and you can fit that in your schedule than go for it!! i wanna hear some more pr's!!!

wnt2bBeast said:
well you said it you need to get back in the gym..go with the best equipment/price and if you need to bench in the afternoon and you can fit that in your schedule than go for it!! i wanna hear some more pr's!!!

lol, thanks. you will.

Ill tell you what, move here and Ill let you train in my gym for free if you complete my fantacy and scream diry words at me when Im benchin and stuck on 405 LOL.

Sugarplum said:

i actually think i shocked a gurl on my track one day doing that....
she was an all american shot putter, very strong
and asked her spot me on inclines, lol
she stood there shocked for a second before spotting me

d3track said:
i actually think i shocked a gurl on my track one day doing that....
she was an all american shot putter, very strong
and asked her spot me on inclines, lol
she stood there shocked for a second before spotting me
i have no problem asking a woman for a spot but they need to have experience(unfortunately there are none in my gym some foxes in there though) otherwise they can hurt you..ive had guys spot from the wrists when doing dbell presses!!

wnt2bBeast said:
i have no problem asking a woman for a spot but they need to have experience(unfortunately there are none in my gym some foxes in there though) otherwise they can hurt you..ive had guys spot from the wrists when doing dbell presses!!

well its better than having a guy (& its usually never a hot guy) grab you under the boobs when spotting you on squats!!

Top Bottom