Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Just a Few Quick Questions About Liftin Straps...

ExtraMile

High End Bro
Platinum
Allright, I was thinkin of gettin some and Iv seen on the internet their are more than 1 type.. Leather ones, ones made from a mixture of cotton and polyester and ones made from canvas

Their are differant makes, maximuscle, turner sports, golds gym and many others.

I dont want to spend loads on them and want them from England.

I was just wondering:
What are the reccomended brands?
Are they worth the money?
Do they work aswell as people make out?
What material should I look for?

I don't think it matters. They just help you maintain a grip.... the don't provide 100% of the grip. Just get the cheapies and use them until they are shreds of threads. $5 will do.

Well what are your goals? Are you a bodybuilder or a powerlifter? Either way, IMO if you need straps then it is time to get those forearms in line with the rest of your body's strength. If you are a bodybuilder, you will look silly with massive bis and tris with girly little forearms. If you are a powerlifter, you won't be able to do shit if your forearms aren't strong enough to hold the bar. Secondly, if you have weak forearms, your back work will directly be effected, and to a lesser degree your bicep work. The exception is deadlifts of course, but if you need straps for rowing movements and/or pulldowns, it is probably time to work on your forearms. Just my opinion.

If straps are needed until you get your forearm strength/size up, I like the padded straps made by Schiek. Recommended by Jay Cutler himself. (One of his sponsors of course). However, every now and then a little Dorian Yates will creep into my blood before I do my deadlifts, and I use the plain, old school fabric straps. Schiek makes this type as well. You should be able to find both kinds on Amazon.com . Some bros use the straps with metal hooks, but they are really uncomfortable, and they hurt my wrists.

Last edited:
Allright Ill leave the golds and maximuscle ones cuz their like £7.50 ($11.80)

So material doesnt matter either?

Well, about the goals, Im not really either tbh, I love liftin heavy but I dont wana just be strong, I wana add some muscle but dont want shitty lifts. Right now Im doing a strength based routine which when Iv tryed before Iv have good mass gains aswell as strength. I know my forearms are weak, but they are not small. I just find it hard on the days with deads and BB rows in aswell. My forearms look skinny from the front but from the side you can see the huge underside, its wierd. the underside sticks out so from a rear view, the stick out further than triceps but the top of the forearm is relativly small making them look skinny from the front. I have been trying all sorts though and just cannot get them to catch up with back, my strongest body part.

Allright Ill leave the golds and maximuscle ones cuz their like £7.50 ($11.80)

So material doesnt matter either?

It doesn't matter. Just don't become overly reliant on them. Use them on your last sets when your grip is absolutely gone.

When you are done with deadlifts you should do a rep and hold the bar as long as possible. The same with chins. Hang from the bar as long as you can after your last set. This should really help with your grip.

I find that if you really want to isolate a muscle, straps help minimise involvement on accessory muscles - e.g., for chins, pull ups, rows.

Gripping something seems to tense the rest of the arm and involve the bisceps. This may not be a concern for everyone, but I found that despite being able to do quite heavy pullups (weighted with 35% of bodyweight for reps), I never got any back development until using lifting hooks.

Top Bottom