Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Joint pain while doing HST ...

from zero

I use the term "joint" loosely, because I don't know wtf really hurts.

So, I'm into the second week of the 10s, and I'm beginning to feel a little bit of pain in my shoulders during dips, and my elbows doing tricep extensions (dumbell). Happens all the time when I go heavy with these 2 exercises. Good thing I chose them, huh ...

Anyway, I'll be able to finish the 10s no problem, but the 5s might become bothersome. Any tips?

I also have joint problems. My orthopedic doc recommended 2 Aleve twice per day. It does help (pain remains)..... other than Cortisone and Deca (no pain) .... I can tell a noticeable difference.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

i get pains really bad from doing EZ curl or hammer curls. fuck i hate that. when you let off the bar after you do EZ curls and the pain just immense

Oh, and this is posted on the HST FAQ Boards over on the site. It's under the "Selecting Exercises and other related topics" FAQ.

Treatment for sore elbows - and sore joints in general

Lying tricep extensions cause me elbow pain unless I am very careful about my weight progression.

Whatever you do, don't ignore elbow pain...it can become chronic and a real pain in the neck (and elbow of course).

If you are doing lying tricep extensions, switch to tricep pushdowns.

If tricep pushdowns also cause pain, switch to dips only.

If dips also cause pain do only kickbacks. You can't go very heavy with kickbacks but you can at least burn out a set or two.

If necessary, drop all direct tricep work until next cycle. Let your elbow heal up and start the next cycle VERY light on triceps and try to do as much burning sets as possible during the 15's and 10s.

After SD, take only the EZ bar and rep out 30 or 40 reps of skullcrushers/lying triceps extensions, and call it a day. Next time in, put on only the collars and do it just the same way. Nice and slow until either it burns too bad or all the blood runs out of your arms and they begin to go numb.

Next time in put on 2 1/2 lbs plates and rep them out again. What will happen is you will be able to rehabilitate your elbows. If I can do it, so can you.

Now, when you begin to go heavier (slowly and progressively), don't do skull crushers first. Warm up the triceps/elbows with heavy dips. I usually do a burn set of tricep kickbacks first, then do my dips, them do my skullcrushers. Even then, you should do a slow light burning set first. Then do a set of biceps first and bingo, pain is gone.

Complete rehab takes about 4-6 weeks of pretty light weight and a lot of reps. But its worth it.

The problem usually stems from the tricep actually becoming too strong for it's tendons. This happens when a guy gets used to training heavy with relatively low volume all the time. They also tend to use too little warmup before going heavy.

If you really want to be able to do them again, give this a try...it will work. You'll still have to be careful to maintain the condition of your elbows over time, but at least you will be able to get in some great sets of skullcrushers as well.

If the elbows start hurting mid-cycle

You will have to take your triceps "out of the loop" so to speak.

You'll need to quit doing the pushdowns, and other direct tricep work until you fix your elbows. The thing about pushdowns, is that they usually don't hurt while you’re doing them, but they foster the inflammation in the elbow that is at the core of our problem.

One way to check if you are having an inflammation problem in the elbow is to relax the arm, allowing it to hang straight at your side. Then take your finger of the opposite hand and press just above and down on your "elbow bone" (essentially this is the proximal tip of the ulna or "Olecranon process" of ulna where the tricep attaches), directly on the back of your arm.

With the tricep relaxed and arm straight, press your finger on the bone where the tricep attaches and see if there is any pain as you rub on the bone. If there is, you have inflammation. It may be mild or severe.

So, in order to get it to subside, you have to get rid of the inflammation first. This requires a lay off from direct tricep work. Usually wide grip pressing is ok, but any kind of extension should be avoided.

You may need to use an OTC anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen if the inflammation/pain is significant.

So, keep training the rest of the body as you normally would, but take your triceps and put them on a rehabilitative schedule. Like I said, it may take 4-6 weeks to work your way up to any real weight on the EZ bar. But this is better than never being able to do them at all.

Tom Treutlein said:
From Zero, what have your results been with the HST so far?

Not bad. Gaining weight. Getting a little bigger. :)
Results could be better though. I had gone like a week eating like shit. Oh well.

Yeah, my question would be did you do the 15's, and if so were you consistently getting a burn while doing them.

Subjectively hst people report that a good 15's can prevent joint pain for most of a cycle, but if they skip it they hurt much sooner.

wootoom said:
i get pains really bad from doing EZ curl or hammer curls. fuck i hate that. when you let off the bar after you do EZ curls and the pain just immense
that was a pretty lengthy explanation from the hst guys..i went threough the exact same thing i had to lay off bicep work for 2 months.. there are 2 things that helped immensely
1. get yourself an elbow sleeve where it for everything that involves your grip
2.this may not be availaible to many people but im sort of lucky in that i have a little portable elctrical stimulator machine very similar to what chiro's use..the first day i used this i felt immediate relief..
3.stretching is also very helpful

Top Bottom