Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is protein intake relative to strength?

Garza

It seems like protein is very over rated. I have heard that the average male, who does not work out, only need 50 grams. Do we really need anymore? I know it helps the muscles to recover but does it really help boost strength?

Garza,
C'Mon bro, you know better than that! Have you ever tried to diet down to 4% bodyfat on lots of carbs and fats while retaining muscularity? It won't happen.

:D

It in itself doesn't boost strength, though it may improve the amount of nitrogen in you muscles.

Its just the fact that when recovering your body uses it to build the muscle back. It builds it back much easier if it has plenty of protein to draw upon. Not only that but once you have aquired a great deal of lean muscle mass. Protein is neccesary just to keep the gains. Otherwise the body does not get enough to maintain the muscles.

Out of the 3 types of food, Carbs,fats,protein.

Protein is the most important. followed by fats then carbs.

While carbs are great the body can convert protein into glucose so they are not essential. Your health would be fine if you didn't really eat carbs though your energy levels would be down. Since the body would first need to convert protein to glucose (which is much harder than carbs to glucose) before its ready to be used as fuel.

Fats are essential. If you ever go 0 fat your hair begins to get brittle you skin dry's its like a lubrication.

and protein well protein is the GOD of muscle building nutrients.

You don't need to supplement w/ protein drinks ect... You can get plenty of protein from a normal foods. Its just as you get bigger (and some people are insanely huge) you protien needs are harder to meet and people would like to eat other things besides MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT MEAT. Supplementing with protein powder helps them meet their protein needs faster sparing those extra calories for other foods they enjoy.

Also 50grams? that very low. You would have to eat carb heavy foods all day. I.G. pasta,

Reccomended amount by the FDA is 100 (8grams of protein is 8% of daily amount according to a label I saw)

But thats for normal muscle maintence on a 2,000 calorie a day diet not the increased muscle bearing and building load that body builders endure.

Also while dieting you need even more protein than you would while bulking simply because your body has a greater tendancy to use the protein as fuel instead of using it to supply muscle growth.

Search the net on how protein is used for muscle repair and recovery. Theres been infinite amount of studies on protein. Mainly stemming from arguments on which is the best. ANSWER they all are kinda all have benifits and all have disadvatages, though common thought is that if your going to supplement Whey is the best kind. Since its supposedly the fasest absorbed making it good to take in after working out while the muscles are in the greatest demand for protein synthesis.

You will find shitloads of reasons to take each type protien though. Still pretty undifined as the correct answer. Since theres alot of marketing hype and alot of things we just do not fully understand yet.

What gets me is that every type of food intake is catgorized into either protein,carb,or fat. But that simply isn't always the case. certain things cross the lines between the 3 showing symptons of being one things while displaying other symtons of being another and at the same time not having enough symptons to be classified. One thing that comes to mind is Glyceron or Glycerol or whatever its called. You'll find it in the low carb protein bars. Its in there at 4 calories a gram but isn't officially classified as anything yet. Its quite interesting.

nice reply enock. i was just reading about that the other day as i am cutting now for a show. closer to showtime up the protein to inhibit, or minimize catabolism by having a ready protein source for energy instead of the body seeking muscle out for chow. hehe. keep em coming. :)

Garza said:
It seems like protein is very over rated. I have heard that the average male, who does not work out, only need 50 grams. Do we really need anymore? I know it helps the muscles to recover but does it really help boost strength?

Protein is a MUST! Muscles need protein!

For a beginner you should eat about 1 gram per pound of bodyweight.

Howeever I seem to benefit more from higher intake ,1+ g of protein for pound of bodyweight.

Advanced BB-ers need to take 3g poer pound of bodyweight. Thats right, 250 pound bber would need to take 750 g of protein per day.

Protein boosts strenth through new muscle grown and old one repaired.

get it?

i can relate to what garza is saying....i newspapersall the time u get non-weightlifters saying how u never need as much protein as bodybuilders say u do...its all bullshit.

scientuific stuf=dies have show 0.8gof protein per LBM (close to 1g/lbm) goives a significant increase in muscle hypertrophy. more doesn't (this is a scientific test, not 100% applicable to everyone) the 50g is the minimum neede to avoid a deficiencyin someone who dont work out....114g is the most anyone should eat (igf not working out) to avoid kidney stress. i done a huge project on sports nutrition but most people probably know all of it anyhow.

i posted this over on the supp board as well.

every reputable study or information tidbit i have read (not written by a supplement company) gives their amounts of protein in g/kg of bw, supplement companies skew
these figures and twist it to lbs to sell 2.2x the amount of protein.

1lb= 2.2kg

bodybuilder maintenance or minimum
1.0 g/kg or .45 g/lb

bodybuilder adaptation (growth)
1.6-2.0 g/kg or .72-.909 g/lb

that being said, it doesnt negate the possibility of slightly higher protein intake,
especially when dieting for a show or to satiate appetite. these ranges are for
someone taking in adequate carb and fat ratios as well. someone just eating their x
amount of protein per day will not grow unless his/her caloric base is not being met in
acceptable ratios. the protein levels usually fall into the 15-30 % level.

something to think about.

danielson said:
i can relate to what garza is saying....i newspapersall the time u get non-weightlifters saying how u never need as much protein as bodybuilders say u do...its all bullshit.

scientuific stuf=dies have show 0.8gof protein per LBM (close to 1g/lbm) goives a significant increase in muscle hypertrophy. more doesn't (this is a scientific test, not 100% applicable to everyone) the 50g is the minimum neede to avoid a deficiencyin someone who dont work out....114g is the most anyone should eat (igf not working out) to avoid kidney stress. i done a huge project on sports nutrition but most people probably know all of it anyhow.

You did not flunk the project, did you?

1st) Lots of protein is bad ONLY if you have DAMAGED KIDNEYS. Heathy kidnesy can deal with lots of protein if you drink enough water.

2nd) Resistance trainees need MUCH MORE PROTEIN than normal people. And 0.8 per lbm DOES NOT CUT IT! I am myself see there results ONLY if I eat 1g+ / lb of protein per day. Not even per lean body mass. If you train SERIOUS 1g+ is the way to go.

Scientific studies in nutrition are far beyond common sense.
Go to
http://www.anabolicextreme.com/anabolic/archives/anex_archive_issue2_protein.htm

Last edited:
no, i passed very well :D

i did say in my post that scientific studies dont necessarily apply to evertyone, just look at the bullshit about creatine. it might not have comen out clearly as i was very tired! more than 1+g/lb might work for you!

drinking lots of water will help reduce strain on kidneys. but if you eat lots of protein and are not stimulating your body to use it your body converts the protein into a carbohydrate by using the main backbone of the pretein and the waste forms urea. this is what is 'filtered' by the kidneys. if the increased protein content is contyinued for many years, it can lead to kidney problems. however this is more applicable for those who need less protein (i.e. non weightlifteras who still persist in eating half a cow 3 times a day). thats whyb they only recommend 50g minimum for the sedentary male. thats what i was trying to get at

Top Bottom