Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is oak considered passe??

J

jenscats5

I have a 3 BR townhome with the middle bedroom currently not being used as I've moved the home office into the DR......but I'm thinking of moving the HO back upstairs & am looking at new office furniture....

Found a desk I kinda like at Ikea which has diff. finishes.....

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/...=40795&langId=-1&parentCats=10121*10392*13785

I'm not sure if I want to go with the black/brown finish as I don't want the whole house in that finish (the LR has some black furniture)...

Is oak "out"?? Or not considered modern & clean & "contemporary"??

Depends highly on the grain or cut of the wood, raised or not raised grain and if it's left natural or stained a color.

Rift oak is real hot still which is oak cut in such a way that the grain is very straight opposed to curvaceous. Raised is just when there's a lot of height to the grain pattern.

Chocolate color (wenge wood) is still hot as well even though there are glimpses of light blond/ash woods trying to make a comeback.

I would go with what is right for you room and the rest of your house. The oak looks nice in the picture, I have one of their pieces in the birch veneer and I like it but I've never seen their oak veneer. (just a note black and oak usually always work together)

Which color really sings to you and what do you plan to have with it?

velvett said:
Depends highly on the grain or cut of the wood, raised or not raised grain and if it's left natural or stained a color.

Rift oak is real hot still which is oak cut in such a way that the grain is very straight opposed to curvaceous. Raised is just when there's a lot of height to the grain pattern.

Chocolate color (wenge wood) is still hot as well even though there are glimpses of light blond/ash woods trying to make a comeback.

I would go with what is right for you room and the rest of your house. The oak looks nice in the picture, I have one of their pieces in the birch veneer and I like it but I've never seen their oak veneer. (just a note black and oak usually always work together)

Which color really sings to you and what do you plan to have with it?

Well, the room use will be a home office....... I already have a black bookcase in the room...... And I want another piece for file storage, but I'm not sure which piece would go with the one above.....

I plan to redo my LR & DR in black & brown colors.....so I didn't want too much black in the whole house....

I would get this drawer unit:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/...=40796&langId=-1&parentCats=10121*10392*13785

Then another unit for additional storage. Maybe this:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/...=47771&langId=-1&parentCats=10121*13793*13783

But I'm not sure if that goes with the other 2 pieces or not....

Plus I didn't know if oak was considered too "grandmom-ish."

jenscats5 said:
Plus I didn't know if oak was considered too "grandmom-ish."

Depends on what it looks like.

Will you be ordering it in person or on line?

I kinda like the birch myself....either one will go with the black bookcases

velvett said:
Depends on what it looks like.

Will you be ordering it in person or on line?

I kinda like the birch myself....either one will go with the black bookcases

A new Ikea opened in Philly, so I'll drive up to look at them in person....

I was torn between the birch & the oak.....

I LOVE IKEA!!!!! They opened a flagship store in Minneapolis this spring. I went to check it out on the day it opened and it took us 1 1/2 hrs just to get thru the check out line. There were cops directing traffic into the parking lot and the parking lot looked like the parking lot before an NFL home game.

I have that challenge coming as I move into my new place in 2 weeks. I've got some "maple" furniture and most everythign else is chrome & glass. My old apartment had all maple trim, so it worked great there. But my new house has "medium" color hardwood floors on the main level & maple cabinets in the kitchen w/ black appliances.

I think generally if your colors are contrasting (e.g. black / dark & light ) then you can create some really interesting looks. If they are near but not quite matches, they just look like a mishmash.

Sassy69 said:
I LOVE IKEA!!!!! They opened a flagship store in Minneapolis this spring. I went to check it out on the day it opened and it took us 1 1/2 hrs just to get thru the check out line. There were cops directing traffic into the parking lot and the parking lot looked like the parking lot before an NFL home game.

I have that challenge coming as I move into my new place in 2 weeks. I've got some "maple" furniture and most everythign else is chrome & glass. My old apartment had all maple trim, so it worked great there. But my new house has "medium" color hardwood floors on the main level & maple cabinets in the kitchen w/ black appliances.

I think generally if your colors are contrasting (e.g. black / dark & light ) then you can create some really interesting looks. If they are near but not quite matches, they just look like a mishmash.

Yeah, I was really excited when this one opened in Philly! It's a lot closer drive.....They opened in Aug. so all the craziness should have died down by now.....

I'm just not good at this type of stuff & have no idea what looks good or not.....

I see IKEA stores out here in California. I will have to check them out.

I've been getting all my furniture at a place called Room and Board. Very nice stuff. ;)

starfish said:
I see IKEA stores out here in California. I will have to check them out.

I've been getting all my furniture at a place called Room and Board. Very nice stuff. ;)

Yah, room and board is really good, they have a lot current designs at great prices.

velvett said:
Yah, room and board is really good, they have a lot current designs at great prices.

I love Room and Board. I got the Calvin bed and it's clean, simple, and built solid as a rock. I'm going to get the rest of the bedroom furniture in that collection.

Top Bottom