Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply US-PHARMACIES UGL OZ
Raptor Labs UGFREAK OxygenPharm
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplyUS-PHARMACIES UGL OZUGFREAKRaptor LabsOxygenPharm

Is it POSSIBLE to ADD CALORIES w/out adding CARBS...

Lililston

New member
I don't think it's possible to add calories to one's diet without adding more carbs (probably fat too).... or is it?

How do you guys achieve lean mass then? :worried: :coffee: Do you still do cardio during bulking to burn the extra carbs?
 
i am probably going to sound like a complete moron here, but i assumed that everything has calories... (like fish etc) but not everything has carbs (like fish etc)...? :worried:
 
..so you suggest taking in MORE than 1.5 or 2 grams of protein per pound(bodyweight) to gain lean mass?

Like maybe 3 or 4 grams per pound of body weight? :worried: Wouldn't a lil too much protein have adverse effect on the kidney? :worried:
 
Lililston said:
..so you suggest taking in more than 1.5 or 2 grams of protein per pound(bodyweight) to gain lean mass?

wait, ur a girl? right?

ya, more protein. for every one gram of protein theres foUr calories, same with carbs, 9 for fat... i assume u know that. but then again, u totally forgot about protein having any calories at all

im confused!!
 
Lililston said:
..so you suggest taking in MORE than 1.5 or 2 grams of protein per pound(bodyweight) to gain lean mass?

Like maybe 3 or 4 grams per pound of body weight? :worried: Wouldn't a lil too much protein have adverse effect on the kidney? :worried:


It would not likely have an effect on the kidney, but it would be pointless. IMO 2 grams of pro per pound of BW is where the cap should be placed.

The whole idea that its hard on the kidneys is because it takes the body more protien to digest a protien molecule than a carb/fat molecule. So if your not fully hydrated, it can be more taxing on the kidneys. However bbers are usually pretty gung-ho about drinking water, so it's not usually a problem.
 
Damn society putting down carbs which we need for stored energy. Without carbs your muscles will be getting ate up instead of your stored energy. Carbs=good
 
JKurz1 said:

I know carbs are NOT evil, they actually help me through my heavy workouts :qt: I weigh 129. My carb intake is 2x my bodyweight per day, about 260. Protein about 150 grams.

I just don't think I should add any more carbs :worried: ...
 
so u want to add lean mass?!

well, i think i am not alone when i say that's pretty damn difficult. so i gather that u get 1640 cals from proteins and carbs. what abt fats?
anyway i have done the low carb thing only when cutting. and i felt like shit. that is why i reduce carbs only slightly and only for sometime while cutting. rest of the time it is an all out bulk and carbs are a good friend then. don't try to get stuck in that lean mass thing. it's not easy unless ur on gear. either bulk or either cut- don't get stuck in between. that's my advice.
 
silver_shadow said:
anyway i have done the low carb thing only when cutting. and i felt like shit. that is why i reduce carbs only slightly and only for sometime while cutting.
Same thing here. I felt like shit when cutting down carbs (and I didn't completely cut them all out even) It took me about 3 weeks of eating normally again until I felt better. Carbs = good, Carbs = fuel, Carbs = healthy That is the truth. One thing though, if you eat enough carbs and you want to keep your fat % down, then eating enough carbs but not too many definitely makes sense.
 
Eat EVERYTHING. And lift INTENSE. I wouldnt worry about "excess" carbs and fats,when I was bulking I sought out carbs. 600-800 grams a day, and around 6,000 cals on some days. This worked best for me. Keeping the protein between 250-300. I was 151 when I started this bulking diet, down from 185. Hope that helps
 
LOL, you are crazy beast, I respect your guys intensity in here, I myself am not a proffesional bodybuilder and I don't want to become huge... just big and defined :)
 
What about fats? Around 30-35% of your calories should come from fats.
 
Allon said:
LOL, you are crazy beast, I respect your guys intensity in here, I myself am not a proffesional bodybuilder and I don't want to become huge... just big and defined :)


:FRlol: :FRlol: :FRlol: ThanX brother!! Im far from huge myself, and wouldnt even consider myself big yet. But I do see myself getting there, though my strength has always far exceeded my size. Even to get to where I am now, Ive had to eat like a maniac. Just to get my arms to 15-16" around it took ALOT of eating. Its an unfortunate part of lifting. It helps to keep a written journal, or even just an online diet journal. Ive written down everything Ive eaten since I was 18. Once I started doing that it gave me the motivation and discipline to start eating more and buying food. Its tough sometimes. Its gotten easier then it once was though, since Ive learned tricks here and there and my stomache has stretched. String cheese,peanut butter, and milk are great ways to add protein without hardly noticing it. Five string cheeses is 40 grams of protein. The more you do it, the better you get at it. Its a much needed skill in this endeavor. Im always thinking about ways I can get in more protein, different foods. I myself hate to eat, and when I was younger didnt eat for days sometimes. Bad nerves and stomache. But it gets easier. I had 2 double quarter pounders for breakfast with some fries earlier, so obviously all that matters to me is just getting it in!! I took a little nap, and now Im about to down 1/2 a gallon of milk and some meat thats in the fridge, a protein shake later as well. Just have to get in a rhythm.
 
I consume a good bit of Extra Virgin Olive Oil daily...

...love it.

B True
 
luv virgin oil, but it has no protein (you know this right) :)

Beast - I agree with you that it is unfortunate that BB comes along with needing to eat so much but I think this is also great as for once instead of watching my diet I can just eat as much as I want. I still have to watch what I eat and make sure I eat enough, but that is more fun than having to turn down a triple burger in order to no become fat :) :) :)
One thing I wanted to ask you, with eating so much my stomach is growing a bit larger than I would like, my abs are not shwoing and my stomach is protuding, I realize that as I gain more muscle mass that less of what I eat will go to my stomach but it may take a long time and having a flat stomach is important to me, so I was wondering if you have had any issues with this.

Off course the two things above I just said do contradict themselves... So basically I am asking, how do I eat as much as required for body building without blowing up my stomach. Also, just to make this clear, I eat mainly healthy food and if I eat fast food it is usually healthy types, I rarely eat burgers, (BTW I do cardio 2-4 times a week and work my abs almost every workout)
 
Last edited:
Allon said:
luv virgin oil, but it has no protein (you know this right) :)

Beast - I agree with you that it is unfortunate that BB cones along with needing to eat so much but I think this is also great as for once instead of watching my diet I can just eat as much as I want. I still have to watch what I eat and make sure I eat enough, but that is more fun than having to turn down a triple burger in order to no become fat :) :) :)
One thing I wanted to ask you, with eating so much my stomach is growing a bit larger than I would like, my abs are not shwoing and my stomach is protuding, I realize that as I gain more muscle mass that less of what I eat will go to my stomach but it may take a long time and having a flat stomach is important to me, so I was wondering if you have had any issues with this.
LOL...love these posts...so, you are eating triple cheeseburgers, yet you want a flat stomach? Doesn't work that way bro. You need to figure out what you want. I think the best approach is to slowly add calories, eat very clean, and it won't get out of hand..........eating whatever isn't nailed down, is the extreme and should not be attempted by natural bodybuilders. Beast can do it, cause he doesn't eat very often and also trains for ridiculous amounts of time each day (over 3 hours, minimum)...........anyalyze your diet and knock of the junk, unless you want to be fat and strong. It's easy to get fat, takes dedication to be strong and diced..........chose your weapon.
 
Thankx Jkurz, I actually edited my post after posting it and added an extra bit at the end, basically I know that I can't eat triple burgers, and I am eating healthy, but to eat enough to get to my current protein goals, which right now is only 150 grams a day but going up (I weigh 85 kilo's) I have to eat a lot more than I am used to... So sometimes I also stuff the junk food down but not that often at all. Meaning that stuff like burgers I'll eat once in two weeks and not a triple burger, just a single quarted pounder with... ok double cheese. When I said triple burger I was just making a point that yeh, when lifting heavy you get to eat more food and you don't have to feel so guilty about it.
 
Allon said:
Thankx Jkurz, I actually edited my post after posting it and added an extra bit at the end, basically I know that I can't eat triple burgers, and I am eating healthy, but to eat enough to get to my current protein goals, which right now is only 150 grams a day but going up (I weigh 85 kilo's) I have to eat a lot more than I am used to... So sometimes I also stuff the junk food down but not that often at all. Meaning that stuff like burgers I'll eat once in two weeks and not a triple burger, just a single quarted pounder with... ok double cheese. When I said triple burger I was just making a point that yeh, when lifting heavy you get to eat more food and you don't have to feel so guilty about it.
Post your diet for me.........

150g of protein is nothing............and VERY easy to get clean, w/o adding triple cheeseburgers or whatever........sure it's cool to treat yourself once a week or so, but staying on course 95% of the time will produce the results you want..........I'm going to wager that you are young, and at 150lbs (how tall?) you probably do need to add some weight....but if you are getting fat already at 150, you'll be out of control at 180, 190, 200......see my point?
 
Ok, yep I definitely get your point and really appreciate your help.
My diet is not that regular as I work shifts, so sometimes I am up all night at work, sometimes work during day, sometimes from early morning, it sucks but the job is cool apart from that.
My height is 185 centimeters I think that is about 6.1 foot, 26 years of age.
I had my body fat percentage checked 2 weeks ago and it is at 10%, should be good no? I have no exess fat on my body apart from stomach, sometimes I think it is not even that much fat but just a protuding stomach. but it does get more pronounced the more I eat... the few days has gotten worse and I have been eating loads more than normal so it figures.

So on most days I eat as follows:
breakfast - granola with 3% fat milk and a fruit yoghurt consisting of 5 grams protein and about 150 calories.
snack - 250 grams of cottage cheese = 30 grams of protein :)
lunch - either rice or potatoes with steak or chicken breast or on unhealthier days I will have turkey strips wrapped with bread (called shwarma israeli food like donner kebab), worst case scenario and I would eat pizza or burger but no more than once a week. (Hey I should be able to do this if I work out so much no?)
snack 2 - protein shake or cheese or salami sandwich (If I go to gym on that day then I have protein shake straight after gym)
dinner - depends what time I got upthat day etc... If it is late by now I would have cottage cheese or some other high protein snack, maybe with some bread, if I would eat something it would be steak or chicken, depending on what I had for lunch. Or I may have instead 2-3 eggs with baked beans, 3 pieces of toast (full grain diet bread) maybe some bacon, mushrooms.

As I said it really depends, and I don't always have 3 main meals a day, sometime only one, usually two. I tend to get take out if I am in a rush that happens often enough but the take out will be more something like turkey or chicken either in bread or with rice or potatoes, not burgers or pizza...

I know this post is long but I think a live example may also be good here:
just an example of a protein count I did the other day:
yoghurt = 5 grams
shake = 30 grams
3 eggs with bacon, beans and toast (fried in a small amopunt of oil and some butter, thin layer of butter on toast = about 35 grams
200 gram steak with mashed potatoes = 40 grams
two yoghurts = 10 grams
Cottage cheese = 30 grams

150 grams approximately all together. Not sure how much calroies this all equals or carbs. so what did I eat wrong that day?
 
Jkurz said it right. I dont eat actual meals very often and I train for many hours a day. So that probabally has something to do with it. I drink 1/2 gallon of milk everyday and a decent amount of peanut butter and string cheese as well. These small additions can make up most of my daily intake these days. Also, my metabolism seems very fast. I was 105lbs when I started, so my body wants to be skinny. If I dont eat enough one day, Ill drop 5lbs. I was eating fast food almost daily when I was 18 and 19. And I measured 5% and 7.1% on bodyfat calipers around that time. Though it wasnt always consistent with the fast food. But I did whatever it took to get the food in. I was 165 around this time, and still very lean. So it depends on how your body reacts to the diet and training. Eating large amounts of clean food might be the way to go, if you can stomache it. Just make sure to eat alot of carbs as well as keeping the protein high. I know if I eat a high protein diet with little carbs Ill lose muscle rapidly. Hope that helps
 
As you get bigger...you will need more kcals from EVERYTHING.

Chances are if you are not getting bigger...you are not eating enough kcals.

Don't cut the carbs...unless you are trying to make weight or diet for a contest.

B True
 
Top Bottom